Question about Montipora and encrusting corals overall touching.

BRS

EpisodeMnH

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently added new live rock in a corner as an isolated island, since I want to add Montipora Digitata, and this is the only realistic way that I can do it, with the Digi’s “adult” size in mind, not as a small frag. This is the new rock in question:

6D2AB621-CE42-486A-BE58-BCD54F3506C4.jpeg

Only problem is, it would obviously be very plain if the only thing on it is a Digi on top. Even after growing into a full colony. So I was thinking of different possible ways to spice it up. What I would love to do is attach some encrusting Monti to the sides (Either all one color or attempt a few different ones.) and let those gradually cover the rock, and then have the Digi crowning it at the top. Would this at all be possible? Would the encrusting species and the Digi kind of come to a halt at the point that they eventually meet? Or would one kill or overlap the other?

Which also begs the question, what encrusting corals are generally safe to touch others? It’s not a regular thing, but I have seen pictures where corals were growing among separate encrusting species, for instance like in this picture:

6458016B-824A-4CC0-845A-50BD1038356B.jpeg

You would assume that those Zoas would get killed at the point of contact, but instead it looks as if the Zoas are actually growing on top of the Monti. So I see that it can definitely be done, just not sure the likelihood or if certain combinations of species are more “doable” than others.

TheBiochemist

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, some corals cannot touch, some can and some simply get used to it. :) My monti is in contact with quite large seriatopora and although the contact places always lose polyps, they re-grow after some time and now the corals seem to establish some kind of relation. :) I observed the same phenomenon between acroporas. I also have a digitata in a contact with large rhodactis (which I hate but it hosts my clowns) and the contact zone is kind of bleached, but the rest of the coral is growing very fast. Euphyllias are different story and they are able to kill whatever is close to them (and they can have very long sweepers) except other Euphyllias. Anyway, I grow my plating monti next to them and while a part near euphyllias is stung and damaged, the rest of coral is growing and doesnt seem to be bothered. I also have a killer purple goniopora that was able to kill zoas and blasto, so it really needs to be separated.

I mean, for 100% there are some generalized rules for this but you can found a lot of beautiful tanks where corals touch each other in large extent. So I truly believe that corals can partially adapt to some neighbors and thrive together. :)

Lastly, for your specific case, you can indeed put digitata on the top and put some plating or encrusting monti around. It could look great.

Reef Psychology

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends which monti’s on how long the battles will last, but in the end one will eventually win the fight. I’ve found that digis and purple stylo’s are about evenly matched but they are both branching so you’ll lack the difference I think you’re going for. Neither have won against the other on a frag rack in over a year. Monti’s are not all built the same. I’d use multiple rocks placed close together and chip them off once they start encrusting the sandbed.

Top Shelf Aquatics

mherb24

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year I was pretty new in the hobby and purchased some corals from a few people in town. I placed them much closer than I should have. Across the top of the rock are 6 different corals pretty much touching.

DCF4262F-A7B1-48F6-9255-A5E56A32ECD3.jpeg

As they have grown out they have bent away from each other right before they made contact. I check them pretty much daily and ready to prune at first sight of them causing damage. I’ll try to post a photo from above tomorrow. I have some encrusting across the top as well

My bicolor frammer and a finger leather have been touching for the frammers entire existence. The frammer was 1/16” when I cut it off the stock of another one of my frammers.

C801CA57-E129-40D4-86DB-43064D72A150.jpeg

Now when momma frammer was right in front of the leather, the leather would shrink up for a few days when they came in contact.

I have most likely just been really lucky up to this point.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back