Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small vtail grouper alone in a 90 gallon. I put a coral beauty in there the other day that was getting beaten up in my 120. The grouper did not like it. He went after it and harrassed it. I thought it might stop eventually but the coral beauty was already beaten up so I put him in the sump to heal. Any takes on if the grouper will except or will he just harrass him endlessly? I know eventually the grouper will get large enough to eat him. I though he would appreciate a tankmate but apparently he likes being alone in the 90.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a small vtail grouper alone in a 90 gallon. I put a coral beauty in there the other day that was getting beaten up in my 120. The grouper did not like it. He went after it and harrassed it. I thought it might stop eventually but the coral beauty was already beaten up so I put him in the sump to heal. Any takes on if the grouper will except or will he just harrass him endlessly? I know eventually the grouper will get large enough to eat him. I though he would appreciate a tankmate but apparently he likes being alone in the 90.
V-tail is one of the smaller captive groupers but is predatory. They will eat what will fit in their mouths and attempt what wont fit in their mouths. You will want fish of the same size and even larger and ones that will grow as large as they do

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. My Triggers bully the vtail until he gets flukes. My Blue Jaw is very territorial. I was hoping the vtail would leave the coral beauty alone. I had an 8" Argus with small maroon clowns years ago in a 180 with a lot of triggers. He never bothered anyone but I kept him fed. This vtail is 4.5" and the Coral Beauty is 2.5. Also there is a video on youtube of a guy adding and Blue Spot Grouper to a Miniatus Grouper tank. The Miniatus attacks the Argus. Like my Vtail is doing to the Coral Beauty. The guy never says if the aggression stopped.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wrong. I tried again. This time he tried to eat the Coral Beauty. The chunks of food I feed him a small relative to the size if coral beauty and sometime he struggles with the larger pieces. But it seemed clear he was gonna try to eat him.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back