Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I recently set up a 40 AIO and was using SEED bacteria, then added few pieces of live rock. My friend told me to add some ammonia into the tank so I tried dr. Tims ammonia chloride which raised my level to 1ppm, after that I added dr Tims one and only bacteria ( yes I know this was reverse but I don't think it will matter ) Currently its been 4 days and I have not seen any decrease in ammonia levels is this normal? I have never had this take this long before so Iam at odds with whats going on.

notes- Rock used was dry STAX rock with some live rock
ph is 7.8 or little higher
using API test kit which I never ever had a issue with
the tank is bare bottom

World Wide Corals

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience 1ppm ammonia with Dr Tim's one and only bacteria and 4 days, your decrease in ammonia will be very very small, probably undetectable at that point. If you do a nitrite-NO2 test, you may be able to detect some produced NO2 which will tell you that the bacteria are working.

Corals.com
OP
OP
slayerhellfire

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience 1ppm ammonia with Dr Tim's one and only bacteria and 4 days, your decrease in ammonia will be very very small, probably undetectable at that point. If you do a nitrite-NO2 test, you may be able to detect some produced NO2 which will tell you that the bacteria are working.
yeah I have not seen anything yet, 1ppm is what I had after dosing the ammonia chloride the next day

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slayer

its easy to fix your cycle without testing

read that thread but to have a different outcome, follow the rules stated on post #25

your ready date will be 3/27/23 no further testing needed or beneficial

notice the outcome of the thread above so far: still struggling weeks after the stated date, did opposite of post #25

you could have a ready tank in a few days

Your live rock is an extra boost factored into your start date stated above.

it would be neat if you do the fish food + water change on 3/27/23 and added fish, theyll live just fine and we can link both these threads for opposing outcomes study in our false stuck cycle thread on page 42 of working examples of exact start date testless reef cycling.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slayer can you post a pic of your tank, the ratio of live to dry rock will make for an interesting analysis. The coolest part of updated cycling science is that cycling doesn’t have to be a monthslong open ended wait, that’s 1998 cycling. Slow, like 1998 dialup internet

todays cycling gets your tank ready by an exact date, just like rows and rows of complete reef tanks are ready on the exact start date of any reef convention, and no sellers ever miss the start date. You can cycle your tank like a convention seller. In the example thread, that’s a buyer’s mode who walks around the convention buying up all the potions to hopefully help out but isn’t quite sure what to do.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
ACC
Back