Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not thought about asking this question because my clownfish are exhibiting all the regular behaviour I would expect for a bonded pair, and they have been as such for nearly a year now, even showing signs of mating - but they seem to be growing at… the same pace?

I bought them both at the same time, introduced them at the same time and almost immediately the white platinum clown was the one who began being dominant. She still is today, when it comes to feeding time she’ll tell him who’s boss and he will wiggle at her so there is clear hierarchy and they swim and sleep together, and share the same anemone so they are clearly bonded

I just can’t seem to figure out how they’re so happy with each other being pretty much the same size and the male not stunting growth at all?

Take a look at them! You’ll probably agree they’re pretty similar size

Nutramar Foods
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
laezur

laezur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they will continue to be friendly towards each other haha
They don't show any signs of falling out so fingers crossed. The only thing I worry about is the male (the black and white darwin) taking over in growth and getting bigger than her. He's had a bit of a growth spurt recently

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The female will always be the bigger of the pair. The clowns are born as males and one will develop into a female in time. Once she gets some size to her she will usually start to bully the other one.
I'm aware of that, infact these clowns have already been through that stage and bonded and developed a hierarchy - that's why I worry about the size difference being almost minimal

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
laezur

laezur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I edited my response once I reread your post. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Oh, haha I was quick on my response - I'm bored at work so don't have much to do right now LOL.

I wonder! I'm no clownfish sexing expert, is there a way to tell from their anatomy do you know?

j.falk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder! I'm no clownfish sexing expert, is there a way to tell from their anatomy do you know?
None that I'm aware of. I did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything on there about anatomy differences. It's usually just the size and aggression differences.

clownfish1.jpg

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None that I'm aware of. I did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything on there about anatomy differences. It's usually just the size and aggression differences.

clownfish1.jpg
Hmm.

I'm inclined to believe that my darwin is definitely a male just because they do have their little spats where she chases him around by his bottom fins and he always shakes and shows submission so I don't think two females would do that, it's my understanding they'd just continuously fight to the death.

Between this and my friendly clownfish thread, i think my two clowns are just broken hahahha

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Deltec
Back