Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there is quite a bit of debate over quarentining inverts as well as corals. Wondering what everyone's opinions are on this subject. My 32 biocube and I have been battling one another for a few months now. Hair algea just won't go away. I have a pretty massive cuc in my 5 gallon QT tank. There are too many snails and hermit crabs in there. I do feed them daily to keep them going, but I really need them in my DT. They've been in there for 24 days of a 45 day quarantine as per humble fish. What really are the odds of infecting my DT with a parasite from an invert after no QT? After my 24 days so far? After 45 days? Would I be stupid to move them over now? Should I just suck it up and wait another 21 days? Thanks!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What really are the odds of infecting my DT with a parasite from an invert after no QT? After my 24 days so far? After 45 days? Would I be stupid to move them over now? Should I just suck it up and wait another 21 days? Thanks!
The odds are astronomically low - but not zero. For most people, nothing bad will happen (at least disease wise; algae, hydroids, and the like are a different matter) if they don't quarantine their inverts at all. For a few people (like the OP in the thread below), however, they'll draw a short straw.

Whether the extremely low-probability of a highly negative outcome is worth quarantining for 45 days at 81F (the temp being 81F or more over the duration of the QT is important for maximum biosecurity here) over or not is up to you, but most people will say it's not. If you're particularly risk-averse (like I am with things like this), though, then you may believe it to be worthwhile.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I know there is quite a bit of debate over quarentining inverts as well as corals. Wondering what everyone's opinions are on this subject. My 32 biocube and I have been battling one another for a few months now. Hair algea just won't go away. I have a pretty massive cuc in my 5 gallon QT tank. There are too many snails and hermit crabs in there. I do feed them daily to keep them going, but I really need them in my DT. They've been in there for 24 days of a 45 day quarantine as per humble fish. What really are the odds of infecting my DT with a parasite from an invert after no QT? After my 24 days so far? After 45 days? Would I be stupid to move them over now? Should I just suck it up and wait another 21 days? Thanks!
Sometimes, algae grows faster than CUC can take control. Can you post a pic or two of the algae under white lighting?
Additionally, Is your tank at or near a window?
What is your phosphate level?
Are you running RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Mike976x

Mike976x

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, algae grows faster than CUC can take control. Can you post a pic or two of the algae under white lighting?
Phosphates are 0. I'm assuming this is because the algea is consuming it all. Tank is not near a window. I use the brs 5 stage premium plus. 1-2 tds into di, 0 out. Just replaced every stage except for the ro membrane as that has plenty of life left. I'll try to get pics tomorrow.
Thanks

OP
OP
Mike976x

Mike976x

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also when setting up my QT tank for inverts and coral, I took a nice size rock which was covered in hair algea from my DT and put it in the QT tank to seed it. Within 24 hrs of introducing my cuc, not one spec of algea was left. I got 3 turbos, 7 astreas, 5 ceriths and 9 nassarius with 15 blue leg and 5 scarlett reef crabs. All from saltwateraquarium.com. The nassarius snails are a good 2 inches long. Didn't know they got that big. But I'm pretty sure this cuc will take care of my 32 biocube in a week tops. Just want to get them there.... Hard to be patient.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquatic Life TDS Pen Offer
Back