Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairly new saltwater tanker here running a FOWLR…

I’m getting a new clown to replace one of a pair that died a couple months ago (cause: stopped eating. No idea why. Treated the tank for parasites (prazi+metro) and all other fish and crabs have been fine and lively since with no health issues at all.

For quarantine I’m a little worried that three weeks alone will risk in it changing sex, and possibly result in issues with the other clown already in the DT.

should I skip quarantine (Captive bred, LFS does a 3 week quarantine themselves), quarantine with the other clown and risk stressing it also, or quarantine on its own.

Nutramar Foods

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairly new saltwater tanker here running a FOWLR…

I’m getting a new clown to replace one of a pair that died a couple months ago (cause: stopped eating. No idea why. Treated the tank for parasites (prazi+metro) and all other fish and crabs have been fine and lively since with no health issues at all.

For quarantine I’m a little worried that three weeks alone will risk in it changing sex, and possibly result in issues with the other clown already in the DT.

should I skip quarantine (Captive bred, LFS does a 3 week quarantine themselves), quarantine with the other clown and risk stressing it also, or quarantine on its own.
Do hotrocks protocol.

14 days in theraputic levels of copper power. Then transfer to sterile QT.
I wouldnt stress about it too much as unless you went completely fallow for 76+ days, you run the risk of reinfection from whatever you may have had in the tank before.
If it were me, and didnt go fallow, i would vette the LFS quarantine protocol and call it good.

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, and didnt go fallow, i would vette the LFS quarantine protocol and call it good.
Thank you for your response

For this do you mean as long as their quarantine looks good then skip the QT for the new one as it’s captive bred?

If I do do quarantine should I QT them together to avoid risk of ending up with two females?

BRS

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your response

For this do you mean as long as their quarantine looks good then skip the QT for the new one as it’s captive bred?

If I do do quarantine should I QT them together to avoid risk of ending up with two females?
Correct, i would skip it.

And if you QT, 14 days wouldnt be long enough to worry about that.

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 days in copper isn’t going to be enough - follow the standard quarantine procedure (30 days in copper + two 8-9 day prazi treatments) and you will be fine. I put a clown through this as I needed a new male and it went fine and is happily paired with my female.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 days in copper isn’t going to be enough - follow the standard quarantine procedure (30 days in copper + two 8-9 day prazi treatments) and you will be fine. I put a clown through this as I needed a new male and it went fine and is happily paired with my female.
Its a heavily documented successful procedure. 63 pages of comments. Ive used it a few times with great results. Much less harsh on the fish with use of chelated copper vs a full 30 days in ionic copper.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tank Stop
Back