Quarantine setup question

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m working on my quarantine setup and had some questions.

I’m thinking about adding a sump (just a 10 gallon with ATO, heater, filter sock, and maybe some rubble from current tank). Should I add the sump and make a manifold in the return so I can run each tank differently? I’m thinking this might be the way I go bc this means 1 heater, and I can have an ATO to keep everything stable.

I also have a larger air pump and can get some sponge filters so no use for a sump.

Pros of sump:
1 heater
ATO
Already have everything except 10 gallon tank.
Stability for QT
Cons of sump:
Plumbing everything in
Larger water changes
Can only do 1 medication
Pros of Sponge filter:
Easier maintenance
Smaller water changes
Quick setup
Can run different medications in different tanks
Cons of sponge filters:
Multiple heaters
Monitor salinity
Lots of salt creep

I think I’m leaning towards the sump route but wanted to make sure this wouldn’t cause more issues than I can think about. This setup would remain QT and hospital tanks only.

IMG_1506.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I’m working on my quarantine setup and had some questions.

I’m thinking about adding a sump (just a 10 gallon with ATO, heater, filter sock, and maybe some rubble from current tank). Should I add the sump and make a manifold in the return so I can run each tank differently? I’m thinking this might be the way I go bc this means 1 heater, and I can have an ATO to keep everything stable.

I also have a larger air pump and can get some sponge filters so no use for a sump.

Pros of sump:
1 heater
ATO
Already have everything except 10 gallon tank.
Stability for QT
Cons of sump:
Plumbing everything in
Larger water changes
Can only do 1 medication
Pros of Sponge filter:
Easier maintenance
Smaller water changes
Quick setup
Can run different medications in different tanks
Cons of sponge filters:
Multiple heaters
Monitor salinity
Lots of salt creep

I think I’m leaning towards the sump route but wanted to make sure this wouldn’t cause more issues than I can think about. This setup would remain QT and hospital tanks only.

IMG_1506.jpeg
With a QT tank, a sump is usually not utilized but neither disqualified. In doing so, filter the water in sump through a fine mesh filter sock and even add a UV sterilizer unit. Use then seeded rock in the sump - NOT tank or preferably seeded sponge to reduce nitrates.
Sponge filter fine with meds however rock will absorb some.
Meds to have on hand:
Seachem Kanaplex
Coppersafe
PraziPro

Hanna copper test kit
Reliable ammonia test kit such as salifert
Heater

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you intend to treat with copper, DO NOT use rubble or live rock from your display tank. Any substate containing calcium will absorb the copper making it very difficult to maintain the correct concentration in the QT. Foam will work best. If you have some in your other sump, move some to the QT, or add some bottles bacteria with new foam and monitor the tank for ammonia until you are sure it is cycled.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumps introduce some issues with calculating dosages - you need to factor their volume in, but also keep the sump at close to the same level (with an ATO) so that the volume doesn’t change too much.

Most of my quarantine tanks don’t have sumps.

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input! I think I want to try the sump. I can always get some sponge filters if it doesn’t work out.

I think the ease of maintaining it is my draw, only having to test one tank for copper levels instead of 3 if I have all going.

I didn’t even think about a UV for it, that’s a great idea @vetteguy53081! I’ll look into the drop in units for the sump. Would be nice to have the fish in the tank with the UV on to let them settle in before starting the copper treatment.

I’ll for sure use sponge material in lieu of rubble from my current tank. I didn’t know calcium absorbed copper. Is there a better salt to use for QT if that’s the case? Like instant ocean (orange bag) instead of the Red Sea blue bucket I plan to use for the main tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thanks for all the input! I think I want to try the sump. I can always get some sponge filters if it doesn’t work out.

I think the ease of maintaining it is my draw, only having to test one tank for copper levels instead of 3 if I have all going.

I didn’t even think about a UV for it, that’s a great idea @vetteguy53081! I’ll look into the drop in units for the sump. Would be nice to have the fish in the tank with the UV on to let them settle in before starting the copper treatment.

I’ll for sure use sponge material in lieu of rubble from my current tank. I didn’t know calcium absorbed copper. Is there a better salt to use for QT if that’s the case? Like instant ocean (orange bag) instead of the Red Sea blue bucket I plan to use for the main tank?
All salt mixes work well for quarantine

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You may see a slight drop in copper in the first day that you add it due to reacting with calcium in the salt mix - you should always retest after a day and add any partial dose to bring the level back up. I use coppersafe or copper power a 2.25 ppm

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back