Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here seeking input on Quarantine Protocol. I have a 20 gallon display tank and a separate 10 gallon quarantine tank. After what felt like a very LONG cycling period, we finally made our first marine fish purchase of two ocellaris clowns on Saturday, it was an exciting day for my family (4 and 5 year old children). They've survived thus far!

Given that I don't know what healthy fish behavior looks like, I'm planning to proactively treat these fish prior to introduction into the display tank. Here is a protocol I'm interested in adopting:
  • Week 1: Acclimation to tank, un-medicated water
  • Week 2: Prazimo
  • Week 3: Prazimo
  • Weeks 4,5,6: Cupramine
  • Week 7: Observe with un-medicated water
  • Week 8: Transfer to display tank
The only other potential addition I'm considering is a freshwater dip. Thanks for your input, I'm just trying to do things right from the start.

CLICK TO VIEW

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the stickies in the Disease subforum. Those will give you a better idea of what to look out for. Do you have the testing equipment for copper in the tank?

Consider also looking into intestinal problem medications. I’m currently using Focus + General Cure to deal with some intestinal problems in the display tank.

Finally, if you do the freshwater dip, be aware that it may be traumatic for members of the family to watch. My fish went all twitchy and if not for the gills moving, my family would have thought the fish were dead based off of what they saw.

OP
OP
P

pvulgamo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, very helpful.
  • The disease subforum is great, thanks for pointing me in the right direction
  • I have a copper test arriving with the medication.
  • I will only do a freshwater dip if it is needed so as to minimize stress on the fish.
  • Based on your input, I will add Focus+Metroplex to the food during week 1.

World Wide Corals
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back