Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some mithrax crabs in my QT tank and would like some thoughts on a proper time length on inverts vs fish. Any new fish I QT at a minimum of one month. Inverts/corals I wonder if that length of time necessary as they can only be carriers of disease.

Thoughts?

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have some mithrax crabs in my QT tank and would like some thoughts on a proper time length on inverts vs fish. Any new fish I QT at a minimum of one month. Inverts/corals I wonder if that length of time necessary as they can only be carriers of disease.

Thoughts?
Crabs- acclimate up to an hour getting temperature and salinity to match that of the display tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thoughts?
It depends on the disease and how heavy any infection was in the original tank. Some vendors hold their invertebrates in fishless systems, so the risk of introducing fish pathogens is minimal. Otherwise, I go 45 days. Here is an article I wrote up on biosecurity:
Jay

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the disease and how heavy any infection was in the original tank. Some vendors hold their invertebrates in fishless systems, so the risk of introducing fish pathogens is minimal. Otherwise, I go 45 days. Here is an article I wrote up on biosecurity:
Jay

Great article. It echoes my thoughts that a $10 crab is not worth rushing and causing thousands in heart ache.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AquaCave Logo Banner
Back