Pygmy Filefish not eating with a grey patch on face

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pygmy Filefish that up until now has been very healthy and active. Today I noticed a grey patch/discolouration on one side of its face and it is not showing interest in any food. It may be slightly bloated, hard to tell. No other fish show any signs of illness.

Will measure and post parameters momentarily but everything should be in normal ranges and nothing else shows any signs of stress.

Any idea what it could be? It was the last addition over 6 months ago and was quarantined and treated according to the protocol recommended on this forum.

PXL_20240825_153554685.jpg PXL_20240825_153549554.jpg PXL_20240825_153548721.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics are a little blurry. A YouTube video might help. What size tank and other inhabitants?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have a pygmy Filefish that up until now has been very healthy and active. Today I noticed a grey patch/discolouration on one side of its face and it is not showing interest in any food. It may be slightly bloated, hard to tell. No other fish show any signs of illness.

Will measure and post parameters momentarily but everything should be in normal ranges and nothing else shows any signs of stress.

Any idea what it could be? It was the last addition over 6 months ago and was quarantined and treated according to the protocol recommended on this forum.

PXL_20240825_153554685.jpg PXL_20240825_153549554.jpg PXL_20240825_153548721.jpg
Pics need more white intensity but do see the patch which appears to be bacterial and may have stemmed from injury or water conditions. I would suggest treatment using Seachem Neoplex in a separate treatment tank with added aeration via air stone

OP
OP
W

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. I'm in Germany so I have limited access to medications, I only have things I've managed to bring over from the states - I've got seachem kanaplex, metroplex and focus. I've also got API general cure.

Beyond that, I've got formalin, prazipro and cupramine, but I think those aren't relevant here.

Any specific recommendation from what I have? Kanaplex or Metroplex perhaps?

OP
OP
W

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a Red Sea Max E 260 with sump and an additional refugium, so total volume will be around 330L.

I've got a bicolor blenny, two banggai Cardinals, an orchid dottyback, two clowns, a goby + pistol shrimp and a fair few corals, mostly softies and LPS. Have a bit of an aiptasia problem right now (have some berghia in there so just waiting for them to take care of it) so maybe that's the source of the injury?

OP
OP
W

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity 34.0 ppt
Nitrate 2ppm
Phosphate 0.11ppm
Alkalinity 9.6 dKH
Calcium 480ppm
Magnesium 1290ppm

Phosphate is maybe a touch high but I doubt that would be the cause here.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. I'm in Germany so I have limited access to medications, I only have things I've managed to bring over from the states - I've got seachem kanaplex, metroplex and focus. I've also got API general cure.

Beyond that, I've got formalin, prazipro and cupramine, but I think those aren't relevant here.

I think your Kanaplex in a treatment tank would be your best bet. The lesion being on just one side tends to rule out systemic parasitic diseases, which is what our quarantine protocol is designed to control (since those cause the majority of early death issues with new fish). Bacterial diseases, usually from an injury can happen at any time, because the pathogenic bacteria are present in all aquariums.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

For your country…. You can get and use Waterlife Myxazin or NT labs acriflavine and agree Kanaplex (kanamyacin) should be available to you

OP
OP
W

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both. I have it in a separate tank that I've dosed with Kanaplex. I do also have Nitrofurazone which I forgot to mention earlier.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back