Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on plumbing for a dual overflow 120g system. I will use left overflow for 3/4" Herbie siphon and 1" trickle drainpipe. Right overflow will be emergency 1" drainpipe and 3/4" return.

My sump has 3 drain ports to the drain chamber that are pre-built for 1inch PVC pipping. If I adapt the 3/4" siphon line downstream close to the sump to 1" to fit into the sump drain port will the mess up the siphon? I feel like the answer is yes but I'm no plumbing or fluid dynamics expert.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on plumbing for a dual overflow 120g system. I will use left overflow for 3/4" Herbie siphon and 1" trickle drainpipe. Right overflow will be emergency 1" drainpipe and 3/4" return.

My sump has 3 drain ports to the drain chamber that are pre-built for 1inch PVC pipping. If I adapt the 3/4" siphon line downstream close to the sump to 1" to fit into the sump drain port will the mess up the siphon? I feel like the answer is yes but I'm no plumbing or fluid dynamics expert.
I believe you would not affect your gravity siphon by increasing the pipe size at the end if im understanding your question correctly.

OP
OP
E

erm0715

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you would not affect your gravity siphon by increasing the pipe size at the end if im understanding your question correctly.
Yup, you were interpreting it right. Just wanted to make sure there was no issue going from 3/4 to 1" effecting the siphon or making it noisy. I figure 3/4 can handle X amount of flow rate and then widening that before the sump had me questioning it with 1" handling more.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, you were interpreting it right. Just wanted to make sure there was no issue going from 3/4 to 1" effecting the siphon or making it noisy. I figure 3/4 can handle X amount of flow rate and then widening that before the sump had me questioning it with 1" handling more.
I had my lines terminate under water but most new sumps incorperate a small section that has long pvc lines inside the sump that go underwater. I call it a surge chamber lol

OP
OP
E

erm0715

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my lines terminate under water but most new sumps incorperate a small section that has long pvc lines inside the sump that go underwater. I call it a surge chamber lol
Yeah, I think that's the intent in this sump. The PVC connects to 3 1inch ports that continue down the drain compartment hence I'm having to widen the pipe for the siphon line.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think that's the intent in this sump. The PVC connects to 3 1inch ports that continue down the drain compartment hence I'm having to widen the pipe for the siphon line.
Yea it should be just fine. The only time ive seen anything like that be affected, it was a gravity drain with no siphon and no vent containing a leak at my facility.
The 1st drain basin tarp was holding water when the drain bucket filled up past the hose outlet at the bottom of the full bucket of water.
I think the principle was equivelant to a vacation pet water feeder how it holds a small amount of water in the basin and a huge reservoir above it.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back