Putting rock covered in blue clove polyps in the sump?

BRS

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two rocks covered in blue clove polyps. I put one in the sump already a few weeks ago, hoping they will die of being light starved. Seems to have worked to an extent but I’m having an algae bloom. No big deal, the tangs are loving it. I’m thinking of doing the same thing with a much larger rock but I had noticed that the tank smells a bit and I’m now realizing it’s probably from the cloves dying off in the sump.
Was this a bad idea? Will it be a bad idea to do it again with an even larger rock?
It made sense in my head at the time but now I’m second guessing it.

CLICK TO VIEW

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get them out ASAP. Just throw the rocks in a bucket to finish the die off and then just clean the rocks. Or better yet just put them outside to sun bake/be eaten by ants then clean and reuse the rock.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get them out ASAP. Just throw the rocks in a bucket to finish the die off and then just clean the rocks. Or better yet just put them outside to sun bake/be eaten by ants then clean and reuse the rock.
Sounds rash, but completely right. BCP like Wu Tang ain't nothin to F with

Top Shelf Aquatics

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this was a very bad idea. The blue clove polyps are very invasive. they can spread through the water column. Now that you were killing them off, they may have released some to the main aquarium and now you may have some in your display. Keep an eye out. that is how some people get a total infestation of this coral.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this was a very bad idea. The blue clove polyps are very invasive. they can spread through the water column. Now that you were killing them off, they may have released some to the main aquarium and now you may have some in your display. Keep an eye out. that is how some people get a total infestation of this coral.
Oh, I already had them in the main display. That’s where the rocks came from. I actually have removed them from my sump already but I don’t know what the heck I was thinking when I did this in the first place.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah just keep an eye out for them back in the main display as they could have made there way back up there again. Good luck. I had to redo my whole tank because of those things. I remember the coral that brought them in and I wish I would have cut the main sps off the rock and threw the rest of the maricultured frag away. Hind site is 20/20.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Brite the professionals choice
Back