Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering possibly, and that's a big maybe, adding a trio of purple queen anthias to my tank. Can anyone tell me how big they typically get in captivity? I'd like something not over 3-4" if possible. Love anthias, but I attempted to keep a trio of evansi unsuccessfully. They were way too skittish for the other fish in my tank, and wouldn't eat. :( So I'm thinking of trying something different.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering possibly, and that's a big maybe, adding a trio of purple queen anthias to my tank. Can anyone tell me how big they typically get in captivity? I'd like something not over 3-4" if possible. Love anthias, but I attempted to keep a trio of evansi unsuccessfully. They were way too skittish for the other fish in my tank, and wouldn't eat. :( So I'm thinking of trying something different.

Scott Michael reports that they reach 6.7", but I've never seen one that large.

I'm not a fan of this species - too delicate IMO. If you can find them through short supply chain (Australia), that would be a better choice than ones that have been bouncing around the fish supply chain for weeks from Indonesia.

What about Bartlett's? I've found those to be about the hardiest, and they are fairly colorful.

Jay

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott Michael reports that they reach 6.7", but I've never seen one that large.

I'm not a fan of this species - too delicate IMO. If you can find them through short supply chain (Australia), that would be a better choice than ones that have been bouncing around the fish supply chain for weeks from Indonesia.

What about Bartlett's? I've found those to be about the hardiest, and they are fairly colorful.

Jay
Good to know! Only reason I was asking about them was because my LFS had a few last week. Usually he tends to only get the Sunburst in stock. The Bartlett's are really pretty! I will do some research on them. :)

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Chasers Aquaculture
Back