Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Purple gorgonian that closes up while all other corals look great. I stir up the sand bed and the gorgs polyps start to come out 20 mins later and usually stay out for a few days to a week and then will close up again. What am I doing here that it likes? feeding it I am assuming so what can I add to help the polyps stay out? I feed reef roids once a week along with various frozen and pellet fish foods

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
J

jcook

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed it's a photosynthetic but I got it on some rock I bought and the guy wasn't sure. Lights have been on all day and it was closed when I got home until I stirred the sand. I don't have a great picture

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230201-175257_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230201-175257_Gallery.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 27
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
J

jcook

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has decent flow with a power head above it and the branches swaying in the flow and when it's out it seems to like it where it is. Branches are light purple and polyps are dark purple brownish

AquaCave Logo Banner

ptrusk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept gorgos in high flow, low flow, high light, low light. They are weeds.

I believe your issue was the dinos. When they get covered with dinos/cyano the flesh dies. Need to keep them clean. I have had good results just using my fingers to gently rub the offending matter off. A soft brush would probable be safer.

I honestly don't remember cutting the dead stalk, but if you do it will branch from that spot.

They respond to a peroxide dip as well if you see necrosis. Always want to treat the rot or it spreads but i do not see that in your specimen

As far as feeding, they really don't need it but they like zooplankton like reef chille, benepets. These will add lots of nutrients however that may induce additional issues such as pest algae growth.

I love gorgos, unfortunately my file fish does too!
sorry responding to wrong post
Since you liked my post I will put it back. OP ignore the therapy portions. I meant to respond to another post. But if you do have issues, which I don't think you will, here are some therapist actions.

One more hing, make sure it is anchored firmly. They like to wave back and forth but the whole colony rocking is no good.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back