Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone out there with a purple and yellow tang together? Im getting a 125 tank. Plans to upgrade to a 200 or more in a couple years when my fish outgrow the tank. I have a 2-2-5 blue hippo tang. I am getting a 5 inch purple. If I add all 3 of these guys together (blue hippo is in QT) can I put a 2-2.5 inch yellow tang in there or will that and a purple cause too many problems? I just want whats best for the fish so if that means just the blue I have and purple Ive committed to buying are the only two tangs Im good with that. Background on the purple, the guy who has him now has him with a blue hippo tang the size of mine, no other tangs. My blue hippo is a rescue from a tank that had way too many tangs (55 gallon with like 4-6 large tangs according to my LFS and based on the scars he had I believe it). I dont want him to get bullied bad like that again, so if the purple and yellow together are too much thats fine, like I said their comfort is the most important to me, also why Im getting a bigger tank in a couple years (rental is too small for anything other than the 125 6 foot cause its got some old floors and not willing to risk an accident with a heavier tank)!! Also blue tang is with a baby foxface, they are best buds and he has not showed any aggression to my clowns firefish, engineer or lawnmower blenny in his holding tank.

World Wide Corals

wculver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone out there with a purple and yellow tang together? Im getting a 125 tank. Plans to upgrade to a 200 or more in a couple years when my fish outgrow the tank. I have a 2-2-5 blue hippo tang. I am getting a 5 inch purple. If I add all 3 of these guys together (blue hippo is in QT) can I put a 2-2.5 inch yellow tang in there or will that and a purple cause too many problems? I just want whats best for the fish so if that means just the blue I have and purple Ive committed to buying are the only two tangs Im good with that. Background on the purple, the guy who has him now has him with a blue hippo tang the size of mine, no other tangs. My blue hippo is a rescue from a tank that had way too many tangs (55 gallon with like 4-6 large tangs according to my LFS and based on the scars he had I believe it). I dont want him to get bullied bad like that again, so if the purple and yellow together are too much thats fine, like I said their comfort is the most important to me, also why Im getting a bigger tank in a couple years (rental is too small for anything other than the 125 6 foot cause its got some old floors and not willing to risk an accident with a heavier tank)!! Also blue tang is with a baby foxface, they are best buds and he has not showed any aggression to my clowns firefish, engineer or lawnmower blenny in his holding tank.
I have a yellow, powder blue, purple, and a tomini tang. There are also 20 others in the tank as well this just rounds out the tangs.

All the tangs were added at different times and different ages and sizes. In the event the aggression starts they get a big mirror on the side of the tank. They end up chasing their own reflection and get accustomed to the new fish.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow, powder blue, purple, and a tomini tang. There are also 20 others in the tank as well this just rounds out the tangs.

All the tangs were added at different times and different ages and sizes. In the event the aggression starts they get a big mirror on the side of the tank. They end up chasing their own reflection and get accustomed to the new fish.
Ah cool! What size tank

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is the rockwork in my 70 gallon. I was thinking of doing more shelf like stuff in the 125 but I can make the rock work denser like the is if I need to. I read they need more open swimming space

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 21
AquaCave Logo Banner

Reef Altitude

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two yellows, a purple, and a tomini. Everyone was a little tense at first the they all found their place and are friendly now. 3-5" for all.

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple, yellow, naso, hippo, and convict tang together in a 180. I pulled the purple for a week when I added to yellows just to be safe. Everything was great until one yellow started taking chucks ouy of the other yellow sominhas to pull it. The purple has been fine with an occasion tail smack usually directed at the hippo durring feeding
20230417_111716.jpg

RichReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Purple and Yellow are thick as thieves. Where one goes the other goes. They spend all their time together. No aggression.

There is also a Powder Blue and a Sailfin.

The only aggression is from the PB but it's very light. Just some rubbing here and there. No chasing.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 130 gallon and my first two fish were a Yellow and Purple tangs and it did not take long for the Purple to establish dominance. The first month was tough but then it settled down.
There are a few border skirmishes every so often but nothing too bad.
The only thing that stinks is that when I treat the tank to a few pellets, the Purple will chase the Yellow into its cubby so he can scoff the pellets up.
And who says fish aren't smart lol

Good luck with your tangs.

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 130 gallon and my first two fish were a Yellow and Purple tangs and it did not take long for the Purple to establish dominance. The first month was tough but then it settled down.
There are a few border skirmishes every so often but nothing too bad.
The only thing that stinks is that when I treat the tank to a few pellets, the Purple will chase the Yellow into its cubby so he can scoff the pellets up.
And who says fish aren't smart lol

Good luck with your tangs.
Did you notice and difference in growth rates of the 2 fish? When I introduced my purple I already had a yellow and the purple was smaller than the yellow. The purple ended up being twice as big as the yellow before the yellow passed durring a velvet outbreak. I just wonder if there was some kind of dominance thing that caused the yellow to slow its growth. They both ate well with little to no aggression. It's almost like the yellow stopped growing when I added the purple.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you notice and difference in growth rates of the 2 fish? When I introduced my purple I already had a yellow and the purple was smaller than the yellow. The purple ended up being twice as big as the yellow before the yellow passed durring a velvet outbreak. I just wonder if there was some kind of dominance thing that caused the yellow to slow its growth. They both ate well with little to no aggression. It's almost like the yellow stopped growing when I added the purple.
I have had them over 2 years, they were both roughly the same size, now the Purple is slightly larger and he knows it lol

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AF
Back