Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While on the search for equipment for an upcoming build I came across a 36" ATI 6 bulb dimmable fixture thats being offered locally for $350. However I'm unsure about the longevity of the fixtures and would appreciate any advice when it comes to purchasing used T5 fixtures.

Corals.com

Homelander

I'm Homelander, I can do whatever I want.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not personally, a good friend of mine has the 8 bulb ATI fixture. The biggest thing (with any lighting fixture) is to keep the fans clean and dust free. As soon as the fans start gunking up the air flow is restricted and the fixture gets hot, and that has the potential to take out bulbs and ballasts fast. Hope this helps :)

Top Shelf Aquatics

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great fixtures. Yes, you may end up having to replace the ballast along the way and obviously bulbs, but if it's in good shape, especially the reflectors, it's probably worth looking at closely. My $.02 anyway.

I sent you a PM since we're basically neighbors...lol.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulbs need replacing every 6 to 12 months. Ballasts, as long as they're not overheated, should last years. Even if the ballasts do need replacing, it's not terribly difficult.

I bought a used TEK brand 8x54w T5 for my Peninsula. The used fixture with one bad ballast was $80. Polished up the reflectors, bought two new 4x54w ballasts, $45 each, wired them up, 8 new ATI bulbs, and I got a like new fixture to light my 140g system for under $300. I'm as happy as I can be with it.

I've never priced a dimmable T5 ballast... I'd assume they'd be a bit more money, but probably not that much more.

Even the cooling fans wouldn't be that big a deal to replace... if you needed to.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran two ATI 8 bulb power module fixture for years.
Used the Giesemann bulbs which last longer that the ATI bulbs themself out of own experience.
I switch out every 8 months and at the same time blew the dust of the fans with canned pressurized air.
Had a 8 bulb suncore for my fragtanks and that one lasted 10 years before one ballast went out.
Best T5 fixture on the market as we speak.

Sabellafella

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
While on the search for equipment for an upcoming build I came across a 36" ATI 6 bulb dimmable fixture thats being offered locally for $350. However I'm unsure about the longevity of the fixtures and would appreciate any advice when it comes to purchasing used T5 fixtures.
Had mine for almost 4 years now without issues while crossing my fingers! Just needs a good dust cleaning every now and then

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Biota Marine Life
Back