+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I’m looking for pump recommendations for my media reactor I’m about to set up. it’s a Waterbox 20, so space is a constraint, but the reactor is the two little fishies phosban 50 reactor.

I’m looking at the sicce mini mouse, 85gph max, so can adjust flow through the reactor, but should roughly be enough at 75% power to run the reactor. Using fauna Marin phos 0.04 in the reactor, which recommends 28-52gph flow, so should be fine

does anyone else have any other recommendations for a pump for the reactor?

BRS
OP
OP
yanni

yanni

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like sicce syncra pumps a lot. They last a long time. 85gph is going to struggle pushing through the media imo.
I have a sicce syncra 1.0 for my return, but I feel like one on the reactor would be overkill since it pushes 10x at max what the media suggests

Top Shelf Aquatics

Pavo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is big difference in stated flow and real flow. Manufacturers even often put pump flow curve at different heads on box, and that is with ideal size hose, no elbows, valves, or other flow restrictons.
Stated flow is flow measured at pump output, no head.
Sicces are quality and robust pumps, and that reactor is not big so it may work, but probably you will have flow of around 20gph. Idealy, you want to mix all po4 media and have it in slow fluid motion, and if you find that mini pump is to weak for that, go for one or two size bigger.
Instead to look stated flow you can look at power, wattage used. Renowed manufacturers are all close so when look at pump wattage you will know better what you can expect from it. Like, if this 6w model is not enough get one what use 10-12w

BRS
OP
OP
yanni

yanni

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is big difference in stated flow and real flow. Manufacturers even often put pump flow curve at different heads on box, and that is with ideal size hose, no elbows, valves, or other flow restrictons.
Stated flow is flow measured at pump output, no head.
Sicces are quality and robust pumps, and that reactor is not big so it may work, but probably you will have flow of around 20gph. Idealy, you want to mix all po4 media and have it in slow fluid motion, and if you find that mini pump is to weak for that, go for one or two size bigger.
Instead to look stated flow you can look at power, wattage used. Renowed manufacturers are all close so when look at pump wattage you will know better what you can expect from it. Like, if this 6w model is not enough get one what use 10-12w
Ah yeah I see what you mean, that’s a really good point. Maybe it’s a good idea to slightly oversize the pump then.

do you have any recommendations for a pump to try in that case?

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead minni mouse i would go with syncra 0.5, im sure that one will work and is not much bigger. Otherwise 1.0 with valve would work too
I’ll give it a look over and seee what is available nearby. The mini mouse is only $10 from a friend, whereas the 0.5 is $40ish

Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

JJT

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I’m looking for pump recommendations for my media reactor I’m about to set up. it’s a Waterbox 20, so space is a constraint, but the reactor is the two little fishies phosban 50 reactor.

I’m looking at the sicce mini mouse, 85gph max, so can adjust flow through the reactor, but should roughly be enough at 75% power to run the reactor. Using fauna Marin phos 0.04 in the reactor, which recommends 28-52gph flow, so should be fine

does anyone else have any other recommendations for a pump for the reactor?
I always wonder about the questions I see on products. Doesn't anyone contact the manufacturer, don't the product instructions state what kind of pump is needed or at least the pump flow rate?

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wonder about the questions I see on products. Doesn't anyone contact the manufacturer, don't the product instructions state what kind of pump is needed or at least the pump flow rate?
I did contact em, not much help in ways of getting a recommendation. Being in Australia restricts my options, and since this is my first reactor, I thought I’d seek help to make sure I don’t spend money unnecessarily.

BRS
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SaltwaterAquarium.com
Back