pulsing xenia and green star polyps together on an island? safe or not?

BRS

dave48

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just setting up a new reef tank and would like to colonise one of my "island" rocks with GSP and Xenia together, started on opposite ends of the island. When the two colonies finally meet which of them will dominate or will they each limit spread of the other?
Im hoping with a 4-5" sand barrier I wont end up with either of them taking over the whole tank. Am I right.? Dont want to create a monoculture.

AquaCave Logo Banner

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just setting up a new reef tank and would like to colonise one of my "island" rocks with GSP and Xenia together, started on opposite ends of the island. When the two colonies finally meet which of them will dominate or will they each limit spread of the other?
Im hoping with a 4-5" sand barrier I wont end up with either of them taking over the whole tank. Am I right.? Dont want to create a monoculture.
Not safe

Movie GIF

BRS

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing the opposite of what FishGuy242 thought.

The GSP is going to slowly spread a skin across the rock. The Xenia is going to keep sending out strings and growing new colonies from the stretched main colony.

I think when the 2 meet, the Xenia, which is "usually" faster expanding is going to be better able to stretch across the top of the GSP and basically grow on top of it, than the GSP of growing under the xenia and pushing it back.

You might have a better chance with Clavularia, which also grows as a skin like gsp, and when the 2 bump into each other they will probably just stop encroaching.

Dave B

OP
OP
D

dave48

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all replies. looks like a range of results with this. Maybe I could pick one or the other and be done with it.
What about the risk of spreading uncontrollably through the tank though? the sand barrier not enough for either of them?
Will have a look at Clavularia.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Chemi-pure.com - All-In-One Aquarium Filtration
Back