Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I noticed unusual behavior from my brittle star. He scurried out from his usual hiding spot and began pulsing separate areas of his disk. If his disk was divided into quarter sections, one quarter appeared to quickly inflate and deflate followed by another. The behavior lasted approximately 20 seconds. I didn’t see any other reef inhabitants bothering him, though I am concerned this behavior might be a stress response? I’m also wondering if it could be associated with hunger/starvation? Since I was concerned about him not receiving enough microalgae to graze on, I supplement by target feeding him about 3 or 4 hefty arm fills of Hikari Mega Marine or other frozen food every day. I also tie seaweed sheets to rocks for grazing at least 2x per week. Has anyone else observed this behavior and know what it could mean?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I noticed unusual behavior from my brittle star. He scurried out from his usual hiding spot and began pulsing separate areas of his disk. If his disk was divided into quarter sections, one quarter appeared to quickly inflate and deflate followed by another. The behavior lasted approximately 20 seconds. I didn’t see any other reef inhabitants bothering him, though I am concerned this behavior might be a stress response? I’m also wondering if it could be associated with hunger/starvation? Since I was concerned about him not receiving enough microalgae to graze on, I supplement by target feeding him about 3 or 4 hefty arm fills of Hikari Mega Marine or other frozen food every day. I also tie seaweed sheets to rocks for grazing at least 2x per week. Has anyone else observed this behavior and know what it could mean?
Brittle stars are scavengers and like meaty bits.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Battlecorals
Back