Pulsating or Pulse-less: How do you feel about Xenia?

How do you feel about Pulsating Xenia? (Show of your Xenia in the comments!)

• I love it, and keep it in my aquarium!

Votes: 48 34.0%
  • I think it's cool, but I don't keep it in my aquarium.

Votes: 67 47.5%
  • It's okay, but I would never keep it.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Just no...You couldn't pay me to keep that stuff!

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • Other (Please explain!).

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulsating Xenia is a coral that has long been debated on whether it's worth keeping in an aquarium. Some think these corals are one of the coolest corals to watch (me), while others wouldn't touch it with a 10ft poll. There is no doubt about the resilience of these guys, but are they a little too resilient? Let's settle this here and now...

How do you feel about Pulsating Xenia?

DSC_0715 (1024x722).jpg

Photo Credit: Najer

ErieAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my first pulsating Xenia on a coral sale over the weekend. In my opinion I think they are wonderful to watch but I think they should be secluded to they don't take over everything. ;)

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
nice to look at. bad to keep in tank unless isolated(from what i've read/seen). would i keep it? yes, as i've also kept GSP previously until it began growing over the sand..

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulsing Xenia is cool, but is not suitable for every reef tank, imo. Definitely a good coral to have in a softy tank. It just depends on if you are happy with just any coral growing, or have specific reefing goals with lps and sps, etc. This coral can take over. I had it in a softy display (took tank down), but now just my softy frag tank.

PapaFishRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew it grew fast, but WOWZERS!!!! It grows VERY VERY fast. Little over 60 days….

Attachments

• IMG_4464.jpeg
    IMG_4464.jpeg
    319.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4855.jpeg
    IMG_4855.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 61

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nano tank is actually a xenia tank. I have regular silver/pink pulsing xenia, long polyp chocolate cherry xenia, and (as of today) their cousin blue green sympodium. The idea was that they would take over and I love it! That said I would not put it in my large tank. It does shed polyps and spread to other areas quickly!

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it. It adds tons of texture and movement to a tank, and it's good for exporting nutrients when it grows fast. I haven't found it to be that hard to remove either. I've found it's super sensitive to peroxide so I use that to my advantage. If you turn off flow and spray it with some over the counter low strength peroxide once or twice a day, it usually melts away, while other corals are fine (careful with anemones though. They get very unhappy).

Obriy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nano tank is actually a xenia tank. I have regular silver/pink pulsing xenia, long polyp chocolate cherry xenia, and (as of today) their cousin blue green sympodium. The idea was that they would take over and I love it! That said I would not put it in my large tank. It does shed polyps and spread to other areas quickly!
Do you have pictures?

Mr Fishface

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it myself! Maybe my all time favorite coral. I know it spreads like crazy when things are going well but I love the movement it adds to the tank.

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it growing in my 125g clownfish tank. It's on the walls, on one of the islands ... and little ones are sprouting up on other rocks that I'll have to trim. Some of the clownfish live in it on the walls. I get the trimmed ones growing on rubble in my frag tank and sell them to the LFS who hasn't had luck with ordering Xenia from vendors as they are usually DOA or if they live they do not pulse. Tried to get pics but there is too much glare in there right now.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it. I have it in my main tank, mostly growing on the back side of rocks that I can't justify placing corals on. I find it incredibly easy to pull back when it gets too close to something. My favorite part? It's not toxic, not harmful, doesn't pose a threat to remove, no chemical warfare, can touch anything. Once you get the hang of it, it pulls easily off rocks.

I also have it going wild in my Eel tank. Love the movement and the eel loves laying in it poking out her chubby face in the pretty Xenia. I don't test this tank so I don't know how of it's keeping nitrates down, it might be. Maybe I'll check it today?
IMG_20240814_195052057.jpg

Yes I cleaned the glass after this picture.

stewy14

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to me, I dont get the appeal of it, its purple, and it has hands, it looks like a feather duster, which are cool, but they just sit there, pulsing, its the fleshy part of it thats just makes it look weird, I know its a coral and all, but for some reason, it just looks fake and un-natural, imho!

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 40 sps, lps, gorgonian, softies, zoanthids, and Aiptasia, but Xenia does not survive in my tank. On my last attempt, I bought a frag, and it died in 2 weeks while a cian-colored Acroporan grew from the rock it was on.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i picked option 2, but I’m changing my Biocube 16 back over to salt soon, so I might be amenable. I was thinking of going all softie or trying Acros . Haven’t made up my mind yet.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back