+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice here.

I was fishing on the weekend and got myself a 12cm stars & stripes pufferfish.
IMG_20221211_194149.jpg

I've put him on my mixed reef tank, and he's been alright so far for a week. I'm keeping him well fed.

Though I'm thinking of going to the LFS and trading it in for a smaller puffer like a Valentini Pufferfish, I've messaged them and they said they could make it work.

Do you guys think it's a good deal?

I'm aware puffers are coral nippers etc and it's part of their diet. Though I'm wanting to risk it and keep him well fed, though I thought a smaller species would make it easier.

Regards,

Avast

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi all,

I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice here.

I was fishing on the weekend and got myself a 12cm stars & stripes pufferfish. View attachment 2931353

I've put him on my mixed reef tank, and he's been alright so far for a week. I'm keeping him well fed.

Though I'm thinking of going to the LFS and trading it in for a smaller puffer like a Valentini Pufferfish, I've messaged them and they said they could make it work.

Do you guys think it's a good deal?

I'm aware puffers are coral nippers etc and it's part of their diet. Though I'm wanting to risk it and keep him well fed, though I thought a smaller species would make it easier.

Regards,
Yes- they will pick tank apart but a gorgeous specimen requiring meaty foods like fish, squid…. Clam, shrimp and similar
Trade it I would

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Raphael Dalmeida

Raphael Dalmeida

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Arvice is a lovely name for a puffer!
It was a typo haha though couldn't edit it to fix.
Yes- they will pick tank apart but a gorgeous specimen requiring meaty foods like fish, squid…. Clam, shrimp and similar
Trade it I would
Will the Valentini still have good personality? This one is so smart and personable, though I've read he becomes fairly large and eats like a truck.

So being able to swap for free with the Valentini might save me a lot of trouble.

Also, is it a fair trade price wise?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Will the Valentini still have good personality? This one is so smart and personable, though I've read he becomes fairly large and eats like a truck.

So being able to swap for free with the Valentini might save me a lot of trouble.

Valentini yes but they are capable of nipping at coral but nothing like the stars, sapo or dog face

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve seen the stars and stripes going for the mid-high triple digits whilst valentini only goes for the low-mid double digits. However I am in the UK and we can’t really fish to get our stocking (If I could, I’d be snatching a cuckoo wrasse) so it may be a bit different if the puffer is native to you.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Raphael Dalmeida

Raphael Dalmeida

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen the stars and stripes going for the mid-high triple digits whilst valentini only goes for the low-mid double digits. However I am in the UK and we can’t really fish to get our stocking (If I could, I’d be snatching a cuckoo wrasse) so it may be a bit different if the puffer is native to you.

Yeah being in Australia both S&S and Valentini are native. I actually caught him with a fishing rod.

Though Its not common to find them on fish stores. I will ask one other LFS they have here and see what else they could trade it for.

OP
OP
Raphael Dalmeida

Raphael Dalmeida

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a cleaner wrasse don't get a valentini puffer. Somewhere in a past life the valentini wronged the cleaner's ancestors and the cleaner harbors a grudge to this very day.
I don't have one, but do they pester the Valentino? I do have 2 Gunther wrasses and 1 laboutei wrasse though.

They don't seem to mind the S&S which seems to be tank boss.

It's a shame the S&S is so cute and smart fish, though just by looking by the quantity he poops in a day at a young age already gives me chills with the high upkeep.

Corals.com

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have one, but do they pester the Valentino? I do have 2 Gunther wrasses and 1 laboutei wrasse though.

They don't seem to mind the S&S which seems to be tank boss.

It's a shame the S&S is so cute and smart fish, though just by looking by the quantity he poops in a day at a young age already gives me chills with the high upkeep.
Yes, the cleaner wrasse will almost certainly kill the valentini puffer (it killed mine, and seen this behaviour reported with a few other reefers).

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found valentinis to be pretty self-sufficient. Kept with all sorts of wrasse and others. Anybody who bothered it got a quick fin hole punch and it was over. Most never took a second look though. They are hit or miss for nibbling coral and inverts. S+S puffers are almost 100% hit for eating coral and inverts and EATING it. 100% of it. A lot of times in like an hour.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Geo's Reef
Back