Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed after Hewbie eats his swimming slows down and he breathes a little heavier is this normal or a sign of parasites/flukes? Also I just realized the crab I threw in almost a week ago was still alive and moving despite breaking off the claws and legs. I just crushed it up more and Hewbie finished it up. And I know puffers store food in their bellies so that’s why I ask if the behavior is normal.

BRS
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to mention as well I found out what he was eating before and where he came from. He was eating frozen foods but it seems like he has reverted back to only eating live foods. I will try the same brand he was eating before which was a variety of Quality Marine’s frozen food. They got him from Costa Rica and had him for 4 days so it’s nice to know that info now.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed after Hewbie eats his swimming slows down and he breathes a little heavier is this normal or a sign of parasites/flukes? Also I just realized the crab I threw in almost a week ago was still alive and moving despite breaking off the claws and legs. I just crushed it up more and Hewbie finished it up. And I know puffers store food in their bellies so that’s why I ask if the behavior is normal.
View attachment 3035221

Puffers store food in their bellies? Not undigested food long term, maybe the person who told you that was just saying after a heavy meal they will have little round bellies.

The color of this fish is good and the breathing rate in this short video seems o.k.

Yes, once a fish has been on prepared / non-living foods, giving them live food can cause a temporary backslide where they may be reluctant to feed on non-living food.

Jay

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffers store food in their bellies? Not undigested food long term, maybe the person who told you that was just saying after a heavy meal they will have little round bellies.

The color of this fish is good and the breathing rate in this short video seems o.k.

Yes, once a fish has been on prepared / non-living foods, giving them live food can cause a temporary backslide where they may be reluctant to feed on non-living food.

Jay
Oh okay thanks.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
I was trying to look inside his gills too! They are nice and pinkish red and not swollen which is good because flukes have crossed my mind. I still think he may have another internal parasites that may or may not be able to be expelled/cured as I haven’t seen any change with the General Cure. I need to do more food soaks though I’ve been dosing the water since he will only eat live foods.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
I found this interesting video too!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
First Choice
Back