Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef octopus 110int on my 75g system (93g total vollume)

As expected, after using Dr. Tim's first defense, and having turned off the skimmer for 8 hours, when turning it on it was still going crazy. I reduced airflow using 2 bleeder valves cutting it down by about 90% to stop overflow but let it continue operating. A few days went by and I was able to increase the airflow back to 50% but it was still making very large bubbles like boiling water.

I figured if it was making these bubble, that it must be forcing something out, so i decided to adjust it to the bottom of the collection cup fitting and let it run.

The next morning it had stopped, and the foam looked like foam again, so i put the air intake back into its normal configuration with the silencer and full port open. The collection cup was nearly filled with very cloudy blue water.

My hypothesis is that it is infact pulling the chemicals out of the water, but i have not come accrossed this ability in searching the internet.

I thought about posting this for a week, and finally decided to after a mistake ladt night.

I did not wash my hands enough after styling with a medium hold beewax cream, and i reached in toove my chaeto, realizing before i touched it i still had this "natural" hair product on my hand to some degree. 3 hours later i was getting the boiling water bubbles again so i made the same skimmer adjustment.

Again, this morning, cloudy nearly full collection cup, back to normal foam.

The blue color mat hed the dr tims, this one was slightly white like the hair products.

TLDR: anyone else whitness their skimmer removing chemicals that are known to cause skimmer issues when adjusting for it?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef octopus 110int on my 75g system (93g total vollume)

As expected, after using Dr. Tim's first defense, and having turned off the skimmer for 8 hours, when turning it on it was still going crazy. I reduced airflow using 2 bleeder valves cutting it down by about 90% to stop overflow but let it continue operating. A few days went by and I was able to increase the airflow back to 50% but it was still making very large bubbles like boiling water.

I figured if it was making these bubble, that it must be forcing something out, so i decided to adjust it to the bottom of the collection cup fitting and let it run.

The next morning it had stopped, and the foam looked like foam again, so i put the air intake back into its normal configuration with the silencer and full port open. The collection cup was nearly filled with very cloudy blue water.

My hypothesis is that it is infact pulling the chemicals out of the water, but i have not come accrossed this ability in searching the internet.

I thought about posting this for a week, and finally decided to after a mistake ladt night.

I did not wash my hands enough after styling with a medium hold beewax cream, and i reached in toove my chaeto, realizing before i touched it i still had this "natural" hair product on my hand to some degree. 3 hours later i was getting the boiling water bubbles again so i made the same skimmer adjustment.

Again, this morning, cloudy nearly full collection cup, back to normal foam.

The blue color mat hed the dr tims, this one was slightly white like the hair products.

TLDR: anyone else whitness their skimmer removing chemicals that are known to cause skimmer issues when adjusting for it?
Yes - nearly any chemical can do this - which is why many supplements say 'turn off your skimmer for xxxx time

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - nearly any chemical can do this - which is why many supplements say 'turn off your skimmer for xxxx time
Thank you! i don't know why i had such a hard time finding confirmation on this.

I felt like it was time to pull the foamy part of the dr tims out that many days into the single dose. I was very impressed that it was capable of doing this.

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Top Shelf Aquatics
Back