Protein Skimmer for IM50, anyone using aquamaxx 1.5?

AI Hydra

Mattyreefs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice on a skimmer for an IM50 aio. I'm currently using an ESHOPPS nano skimmer that I used to use on my IM25. I have a sort of love hate relationship with this thing. I used it for over a year on the IM25 and it worked incredibly well at times and then others would just not skim at all. The foam in the bottom is constantly falling out and the sponge inside the pump gunks up so fast. Even when everything is clean, it's a mystery if it's going to skim or not.

I also have an Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 that I planned to swap in but that thing scares the heck out of me. I broke it in for 4-6 weeks on a spare tank and when I went to put it on the IM50, I had so much trouble dialing it in. I switched back to the ESHOPPS for a while but I really need something bigger. This weekend I tried the Aquamaxx again and I cannot figure this thing out. The minute I turn it on and prime the pump, the water level flows so high in the chamber that I can't even think about putting the collection cup on. So I tied a fairly tight knot in the airline to dial it down and that seemed to help but it constantly looks like it's going to overflow the minute I walk away. I'd like to give this a shot before I move on. Anyone using this successfully have any advice?

For IM50 owners, what are you using currently? It seems to be slim pickings for this tank but I'm considering an PLS-50 Elite II.

Nutramar Foods

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot recommend the IM brand of skimmers. I saw a new Bubble Magus nano skimmer the other day at my LFS that looked really well-made (not sure if it's large enough, but one you could check out). Tunze also makes a fairly decent nano skimmer.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 that I'm getting ready to sell because I don't need it anymore. It was one of the best skimmers I've ever used.

You have to adjust the rubber oring on the collection cup or it does exactly what you're saying. Roll it down quite a bit and make the cup sit much higher and see how that works. After some time you can lower it and dial it in once it breaks in.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Mattyreefs

Mattyreefs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 that I'm getting ready to sell because I don't need it anymore. It was one of the best skimmers I've ever used.

You have to adjust the rubber oring on the collection cup or it does exactly what you're saying. Roll it down quite a bit and make the cup sit much higher and see how that works. After some time you can lower it and dial it in once it breaks in.
Thanks for the input. I'll keep trying to adjust the Aquamaxx before I spend money on something else. Once it broke in, did you ever have trouble with micro bubbles? Seems like it spits out a lot.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I'll keep trying to adjust the Aquamaxx before I spend money on something else. Once it broke in, did you ever have trouble with micro bubbles? Seems like it spits out a lot.
Yes, I did. There is an add-on that you can buy separately that attaches to the outlet. It's basically a sponge. I attached a 45 degree PVC elbow and pointed it back toward the skimmer body. It didn't eliminate the bubbles, but it gave them more time to dissapate before going into the water.

You could take some filter sponge and attach to the outlet and end them.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back