Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have had remarkable success feeding my corals Reef Nutrition products for over a year now, along with my homemade frozen recipe, Piscine PE Mysis shrimp, and Brightwell’s Vitamin products.

When I started using Reef Nutrition’s Oyster Feast I was shown how to feed and after seeing how the corals reacted up at Wide World of Coral really got me thinking. After meeting Chad at Reef-A-Palooza Orlando last year 2016. Chad took the time to explain the benefits of combining a couple of other Reef Nutrition product to make my overall feeding complete. I have noticed the difference in a big way and when I do not feed all the products my corals are not happy. My nutrient levels stay very steady. When I need to kick up my level, I feed more of a natural product instead of chemical, which I like. Be sure to come out and say Hello to Chad again at this year’s Orlando Reef-A-Palooza May 6th and 7th.

I have been involved in a few discussions about how much and how to handle feeding frozen food to the tank, and how I prepare my weekly food for feeding.

View attachment 508777

In a 250ml beaker I slack out my frozen food covered in the refrigerator. "Slacking" is the process of moderating the temperature of a food such as allowing a food to gradually increase from a temperature. Slacking your food keeps the food fresher without decomposition of the food more so than quick thawing or heating methods. By also slacking the product correctly one can have a week’s worth of food on the ready for easy daily feedings. The slacking process I use follows the FDA slacking procedures.

My Mix

• 2 ounces of frozen Piscine PE Mysis shrimp

• 2 ounces of my frozen blend recipe blend

• 2 table spoons of Reef Nutrition’s Oyster-Feast

• 2 table spoons of Reef Nutrition’s Roti-Feast

• 2 table spoons of Reef Nutrition’s R.O.E

• 1 tablespoon of Brightwell’s Vitamarin C

• 1 tablespoon of Brightwell’s Vitamarin m

• 1 tablespoon of AquaForest amino acid

2 drops of AquaForest garlic oil

When I need to medicate I use the same blend along with what meds I need and Seachem Focus to bind the meds to the food so that the fish ingest the medication.

After the food has slacked properly I will mix the food with a magnetic stirrer to make sure that everything is mixed properly without degrading the products.

The above mix is used mainly for broadcast feeding and some spot feeding.

I am lucky enough to have Wide World Corals very close to me. When I need a product, I can pop in and grab what I need. What is great about Wide World Carols is, if the particular product is not on hand, Wide World Corals will order what I need in their next order if requested.

View attachment 508778

Below is a video showing my preparation, along with how I feed my system. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

melypr1985

totally addicted
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is excellent! I use most of these products already both at the store and at home. I wonder though, what are some other good options for stirring that won't degrade the food? I don't have a fancy magnetic stirring deal like that.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is excellent! I use most of these products already both at the store and at home. I wonder though, what are some other good options for stirring that won't degrade the food? I don't have a fancy magnetic stirring deal like that.

A small rubber spatula link or just a simple spoon

Top Shelf Aquatics

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up. I noticed today it is about time for me to make a trip to WWC to pick up some LRS and reef nutrition goodies. I need to make a video of my tank when I feed... I might just have a stupid amount of flow. Lol

(I use a glass stir rod)

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up. I noticed today it is about time for me to make a trip to WWC to pick up some LRS and reef nutrition goodies. I need to make a video of my tank when I feed... I might just have a stupid amount of flow. Lol

(I use a glass stir rod)
Let me know when you come up.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know when you come up.

Will do!

I made a quick video a few minutes ago of me serving breakfast. (I do this twice a day, there is also a nightly feeding of a mix ofsuspended particles for the corals, microfauna etc.). It's a little cloudy because I pumped the zeoreactor, so there is bacterial food in the water as well.;)

You gotta make sure your fish get plenty of exercise, gotta make them work for their breakfast.:D

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do!

I made a quick video a few minutes ago of me serving breakfast. (I do this twice a day, there is also a nightly feeding of a mix ofsuspended particles for the corals, microfauna etc.). It's a little cloudy because I pumped the zeoreactor, so there is bacterial food in the water as well.;)

You gotta make sure your fish get plenty of exercise, gotta make them work for their breakfast.:D

This is the first i am seeing the tank, Wow that is nice.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Congaken

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do!

I have had remarkable success feeding my corals Reef Nutrition products for over a year now, along with my homemade frozen recipe, Piscine PE Mysis shrimp, and Brightwell’s Vitamin products.

When I started using Reef Nutrition’s Oyster Feast I was shown how to feed and after seeing how the corals reacted up at Wide World of Coral really got me thinking. After meeting Chad at Reef-A-Palooza Orlando last year 2016. Chad took the time to explain the benefits of combining a couple of other Reef Nutrition product to make my overall feeding complete. I have noticed the difference in a big way and when I do not feed all the products my corals are not happy. My nutrient levels stay very steady. When I need to kick up my level, I feed more of a natural product instead of chemical, which I like. Be sure to come out and say Hello to Chad again at this year’s Orlando Reef-A-Palooza May 6th and 7th.

I have been involved in a few discussions about how much and how to handle feeding frozen food to the tank, and how I prepare my weekly food for feeding.

View attachment 508777

In a 250ml beaker I slack out my frozen food covered in the refrigerator. "Slacking" is the process of moderating the temperature of a food such as allowing a food to gradually increase from a temperature. Slacking your food keeps the food fresher without decomposition of the food more so than quick thawing or heating methods. By also slacking the product correctly one can have a week’s worth of food on the ready for easy daily feedings. The slacking process I use follows the FDA slacking procedures.

My Mix

• 2 ounces of frozen Piscin
    Will do!

When I need to medicate I use the same blend along with what meds I need and Seachem Focus to bind the meds to the food so that the fish ingest the medication.

After the food has slacked properly I will mix the food with a magnetic stirrer to make sure that everything is mixed properly without degrading the products.

I am lucky enough to have Wide World Corals very close to me. When I need a product, I can pop in and grab what I need. What is great about Wide World Carols is, if the particular product is not on hand, Wide World Corals will order what I need in their next order if requested.

View attachment 508778

Below is a video showing my preparation, along with how I feed my system. Enjoy.

View attachment 508777

My Mix

• 2 ounces of frozen Piscine PE Mysis shrimp

View attachment 508778

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never worried about rinsing frozen food. I know lots of people do. Personally I think you're just washing away stuff that something in your tank would like. But from the video you can see I am also not someone too concerned with "over feeding" or "getting my tank dirty". (I also carbon dose and run a zeolite reactor).

locito277

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do!

What kind of tang is that? Love your flame wrasse

World Wide Corals

Congaken

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never worried about rinsing frozen food. I know lots of people do. Personally I think you're just washing away stuff that something in your tank would like. But from the video you can see I am also not someone too concerned with "over feeding" or "getting my tank dirty". (I also carbon dose and run a zeolite reactor).
I have a 10 gal. IM reef...easy to put in too much organics...the other tank is a 65 fowlr with hob filter...may experiment with your technique with some rinsing...:cool:

Nutramar Foods

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like with anything you have to find a balance. I've kept many tanks many different ways and I never rinsed my frozen foods.

My current system can be difficult to keep enough nutrients in, so every little bit helps me.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never rinsed frozen food. I just drop it in and it defrosts in the water as the fish tear it to pieces

I just use frozen cubes in blister packs and mix and match them to vary it for the fish.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back