Pregnant Harlequin shrimp going after my sand sifting star.

reefluvrr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Harlequin shrimp to help control my Asterina Starfish in my reef tank.

After many months of preying on Asterina stars. Today, I discovered the female laden with eggs in her underside going after my only sand sifting star. My poor sand sifting star has been with me for over a year.

I caught the Harlequin about 15 minutes earlier eating the starfish. I immediately tried to put the starfish to the front of the tank hoping it will be okay... Guess not.... I still can see Asterina starfish in my rocks, but like my wife said, don't mess with pregnant ladies....

Corals.com

MtnDewMan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Harlequin shrimp to help control my Asterina Starfish in my reef tank.

After many months of preying on Asterina stars. Today, I discovered the female laden with eggs in her underside going after my only sand sifting star. My poor sand sifting star has been with me for over a year.

I caught the Harlequin about 15 minutes earlier eating the starfish. I immediately tried to put the starfish to the front of the tank hoping it will be okay... Guess not.... I still can see Asterina starfish in my rocks, but like my wife said, don't mess with pregnant ladies....

Yep, all starfish are fair game. Asterinas, in my opinion, just aren't what they really want in the wild. I think Linkia are top on their list of prized foods, but any starfish they find they will eat.

Avast

Double monti 61

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that to many people panic when they see astrinia in their systems in most cases their numbers decline over time and over time you may lose the sand shifting starfish and the harlequin shrimp.Do not believe all the misinformation that you are spoon fed!

OP
OP
R

reefluvrr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that to many people panic when they see astrinia in their systems
I do not have issues with astrinia star going after my corals. I literally have probably close to 300 in my system where it was disturbing my field of vision.

Case in point:
1673927563946.png

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back