Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed prazipro yesterday. I turned off the pump and let it sit in my sump for a few hours. Today I've noticed the fish are a bit more aggressive towards each other. The sailfin has checked the vlamingii several times, the Carkii are mega d**KS. The female was after my bt trigger. The foxface was doing weird swimming and kept running into things. The foxface also had cloudy "slime" floating behind its eyes. He is why I did prazipro, eyes were cloudy when all others were not. I managed to catch him and he's in qt.
So is the prazi creating an uncomfortable situation for the others as they are infected with flukes as well? How do I keep them from being reinfected in the dt?

Last edited:
AS

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed prazipro yesterday. I turned off the pump and let it sit in my qt for a few hours. Today I've noticed the fish are a bit more aggressive towards each other. The sailfin has checked the vlamingii several times, the Carkii are mega d**KS. The female was after my bt trigger. The foxface was doing weird swimming and kept running into things. The foxface also had cloudy "slime" floating behind its eyes. He is why I did prazipro, eyes were cloudy when all others were not. I managed to catch him and he's in qt.
So is the prazi creating an uncomfortable situation for the others as they are infected with flukes as well? How do I keep them from being reinfected in the dt?
If you could send a picture that would be nice. I would wonder if it could be a bacterial infection as compared to fluke. Any other symptoms? Are you sure you dosed the Prazipro correctly for the volume in your tank? Do any of your fish have any other disease symptoms (beyond what you described - fast breathing, etc - were the rest of them quarantined)? Lastly you need to increase oxygen with Prazipro.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I dosed prazipro yesterday. I turned off the pump and let it sit in my qt for a few hours. Today I've noticed the fish are a bit more aggressive towards each other. The sailfin has checked the vlamingii several times, the Carkii are mega d**KS. The female was after my bt trigger. The foxface was doing weird swimming and kept running into things. The foxface also had cloudy "slime" floating behind its eyes. He is why I did prazipro, eyes were cloudy when all others were not. I managed to catch him and he's in qt.
How did you dose it and turning off the pumps was not good as Prazi has a glycol agent in the solution and needs to be diluted. The question is are they going nuts from solution, or is it because they are in a smaller tank being the quarantine tank with less cover.
The typical treatment for prazi is to be safe , dose at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

Nutramar Foods
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't anything about a prazi treatment that would make the fish more aggressive.

I'm not sure about the turning off the sump - no need to do that. Prazipro actually disperses as a fine suspension - it is best to add some to the sump and the rest to the tank itself. Always add extra aeration when dosing, and dose to the net volume of the tank, not its rated capacity. Here is the instructions I give for its use:

Prazipro
You can dose your DT with Prazipro, when done properly, it is safe for fish and invertebrates (clams may retract a bit during treatment, there are rare reports of feather duster worms being harmed). The dose works like this: Remove all chemical filtrants like carbon. Add an extra air stone to the tank. Run any protein skimmers, but don't collect the skimmate. Add a full dose of Prazipro to the net volume of the tank (usually about 85% of the "rated" tank volume). Wait 8 days, change 25% of the water and redose. Praziquantel breaks down in about 72 hours, the water change is just to reduce nutrients leftover from that.

Jay

OP
OP
Jax3545

Jax3545

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't anything about a prazi treatment that would make the fish more aggressive.

I'm not sure about the turning off the sump - no need to do that. Prazipro actually disperses as a fine suspension - it is best to add some to the sump and the rest to the tank itself. Always add extra aeration when dosing, and dose to the net volume of the tank, not its rated capacity. Here is the instructions I give for its use:

Prazipro
You can dose your DT with Prazipro, when done properly, it is safe for fish and invertebrates (clams may retract a bit during treatment, there are rare reports of feather duster worms being harmed). The dose works like this: Remove all chemical filtrants like carbon. Add an extra air stone to the tank. Run any protein skimmers, but don't collect the skimmate. Add a full dose of Prazipro to the net volume of the tank (usually about 85% of the "rated" tank volume). Wait 8 days, change 25% of the water and redose. Praziquantel breaks down in about 72 hours, the water change is just to reduce nutrients leftover from that.

Jay
Thank you! Everyone is normal today. I did manage to get the foxface in qt. I didn't like how his eyes looked. He's also too skinny so I'll get to fatten him up too. (Waters green from Rally. Pics from a month ago)

Attachments

• 20230428_195532.jpg
    20230428_195532.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
Jax3545

Jax3545

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back again. I did a 2nd dose of prazipro a half hour ago, and got the same behaviors. The vlamingii is all over the sailfin. I have the octoreef 150 running with the cup off
Fairy wrasse is in qt with the foxface. So out of harms way. The cloudiness is gone from his eyes and he did not enjoy me interrupting his bedtime.
20230526_231528.jpg
https://youtube.com/shorts/S5IC6MD-Ic8?feature=share

CLICK TO VIEW

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see much with the Naso except it is breathing really hard. Did you add good aeration to the main tank itself?

Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RED SEA
Back