Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few fish in QT that use to have flukes. I'm not 100% sure it's gone yet, so I want to treat again just to be sure. I want to do a double-whammy treatment: Hyposalinity for 35 days while also dosing prazi pro every 8 days. Of course, no carbon media and airstone used, with water changes right before another prazi dose.

I know it's probably redundant, but are there any negative effects if I combine both?

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a few fish in QT that use to have flukes. I'm not 100% sure it's gone yet, so I want to treat again just to be sure. I want to do a double-whammy treatment: Hyposalinity for 35 days while also dosing prazi pro every 8 days. Of course, no carbon media and airstone used, with water changes right before another prazi dose.

I know it's probably redundant, but are there any negative effects if I combine both?
I would not do both at same time but rather do the two 8 day treatments then go to hyposalinity at 1.009

OP
OP
Makara23

Makara23

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do both at same time but rather do the two 8 day treatments then go to hyposalinity at 1.009
Is it too harsh on the fish to do both at the same time? I thought prazi is not so harsh on fish (compared to copper), and they can also handle a drop in salinity pretty well (compared to increase in salinity).

Is 1.009 the proper level for hypo?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it too harsh on the fish to do both at the same time? I thought prazi is not so harsh on fish (compared to copper), and they can also handle a drop in salinity pretty well (compared to increase in salinity).

Well, it's complicated (grin). Praziquantel can be used in FW or SW. However, putting fish into hypo and then treating them with prazi adds to the stress. Prazi can lower the dissolved oxygen level of the water (through bacterial decomposition). There are vague reports of wrasses being sensitive to prazi. I've never seen that, but I always run strong aeration when using it, so it may just be an oxygen thing.

A specific gravity of 1.009 is needed when using hypo to cure marine ich. For marine flukes, the level only needs to be 1.012.

Hypo keeps the fluke eggs from hatching, and kills the adult flukes. Prazi does nothing for eggs, just kills the adult flukes.

I guess I wouldn't run them concurrently, just to be safe.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

1.012 correct level for flukes- I gave you level for ich and reason is Hyposalinity already addresses fluke and you dont want to add meds to hypo unless its deemed an emergency. Prazi addresses worms and not the ones that would be in the egg stage, so no advantage doing both

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Cultivated Reef
Back