Prazi resistant flukes or prazi gobbled up by bacteria

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard and read that there's no such thing as prazi resistant flukes but rather just your tank building tolerance to praziquantel by breeding bacteria which eats up prazi before the prazi takes effect, is this true?

If it is true is there anyway to kill the prazi bacteria? Or literally swap the whole tank and the whole biological unit just for prazi to work again, i have still got a lot of prazi powder left and i wonder if it's literally a waste at this point if there's indeed literally (prazi resistant flukes)

@Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard and read that there's no such thing as prazi resistant flukes but rather just your tank building tolerance to praziquantel by breeding bacteria which eats up prazi before the prazi takes effect, is this true?

If it is true is there anyway to kill the prazi bacteria? Or literally swap the whole tank and the whole biological unit just for prazi to work again, i have still got a lot of prazi powder left and i wonder if it's literally a waste at this point if there's indeed literally (prazi resistant flukes)

@Jay Hemdal
The idea of “prazi resistant flukes” stems from situations where prazi stops working in a given tank. The immediate assumption was that the flukes developed resistance. That isn’t true, it is the degrading bacteria that causes this in home aquariums.

For multicellular animals to develop resistance to a medication, it requires many failed doses over time for a population to build immunity. Almost all application of prazi for the fish trade is a “one and done” treatment, so no multiple populations of flukes present to build resistance. That cannot be said for aquaculture - in those cases, it has been commonly seen for multicellular parasites to become resistant to drugs.

Public aquariums will sterilize their quarantine tanks and start them over in order to allow prazi to become more effective.

Personally, I’ve moved to hyposalinity to treat flukes now. I still suggest prazi in cases where people have invertebrates in the tank so cannot run hypo.

OP
OP
HAAAAAAAA

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea of “prazi resistant flukes” stems from situations where prazi stops working in a given tank. The immediate assumption was that the flukes developed resistance. That isn’t true, it is the degrading bacteria that causes this in home aquariums.

For multicellular animals to develop resistance to a medication, it requires many failed doses over time for a population to build immunity. Almost all application of prazi for the fish trade is a “one and done” treatment, so no multiple populations of flukes present to build resistance. That cannot be said for aquaculture - in those cases, it has been commonly seen for multicellular parasites to become resistant to drugs.

Public aquariums will sterilize their quarantine tanks and start them over in order to allow prazi to become more effective.

Personally, I’ve moved to hyposalinity to treat flukes now. I still suggest prazi in cases where people have invertebrates in the tank so cannot run hypo.
Does sterilizing quarantine tanks mean to clean the tanks with freshwater or apply alcohol and rub down the whole tank?

I thought of cleaning the qt with freshwater and then fill it back up with different biomedia from an established tank, would this work?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does sterilizing quarantine tanks mean to clean the tanks with freshwater or apply alcohol and rub down the whole tank?

I thought of cleaning the qt with freshwater and then fill it back up with different biomedia from an established tank, would this work?
Bleach at 500 ppm works best.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back