Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
little info. Newbie 1 yr in. Have 40 gallon redsea max. Intake top right output top left. Rockscape in middle of tank. Suggestions for 2 powerhead placements. Will be putting in soft corals in a month or two mushrooms etc (easy care ones). Parameters are all good and consistent but water is clear but not crystal clear any suggestions. have cut back on amount of food and do regular 10 gallon weekly water change. Thanks for any ideas.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
little info. Newbie 1 yr in. Have 40 gallon redsea max. Intake top right output top left. Rockscape in middle of tank. Suggestions for 2 powerhead placements. Will be putting in soft corals in a month or two mushrooms etc (easy care ones). Parameters are all good and consistent but water is clear but not crystal clear any suggestions. have cut back on amount of food and do regular 10 gallon weekly water change. Thanks for any ideas.

The job of power heads is to create flow. But please remember that flow needs to be chaotic. So I would install my power heads facing each other. If you are using one power head, point it at your return to create chaotic flow.

Jesse Sunday

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you using charcoal? That might help clarity.

As for powerheads, I use the Koralia Wi-Fi Controllable Wavemaker Pump, 370-1050 GPH in my 32g, and it's wonderful. I have it set to the "Fresh Planted Water Max 100L" program, so it varies the flow and program every 30 minutes.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Fishing in the dark

Fishing in the dark

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As for powerheads, I use the Koralia Wi-Fi Controllable Wavemaker Pump, 370-1050 GPH in my 32g, and it's wonderful. I have it set to the "Fresh Planted Water Max 100L" program, so it varies the flow and program every 30 minutes.
yup put in charcoal is there a certain amount to put in. Always nervous to over do it

Jesse Sunday

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup put in charcoal is there a certain amount to put in. Always nervous to over do it

Don't rely on my answer alone... but I don't think you can "over carbon" a tank.

I have one of these bags full in my sump (chamber 2, right below the floss filtration), and I'm thinking about adding a second bag today after I trim my Chaeto and replace the floss.

OP
OP
Fishing in the dark

Fishing in the dark

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

going to check them out ty

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is clear but not crystal clear….

Cloudy, particulates (you can see things floating), or yellow? Water changes, carbon, filter socks, dialed in skimmer, and UV will all clear up water…but you would need to know more about what’s causing the issue. Little particulates (like ya know…in the ocean?) …mechanical filtration. Cloudy due to algae? UV. Yellow? Water changes and carbon.

As someone who has had water so clean it looked like the fish were floating in air: it’s unnerving and I don’t care for it. This is why I use UV sparingly.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Fishing in the dark

Fishing in the dark

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is clear but not crystal clear….

Cloudy, particulates (you can see things floating), or yellow? Water changes, carbon, filter socks, dialed in skimmer, and UV will all clear up water…but you would need to know more about what’s causing the issue. Little particulates (like ya know…in the ocean?) …mechanical filtration. Cloudy due to algae? UV. Yellow? Water changes and carbon.

As someone who has had water so clean it looked like the fish were floating in air: it’s unnerving and I don’t care for it. This is why I use UV sparingly.
Little while particles seem to be starting with cyanobacteria water change day going to try and vacuum out to nervous to use any chemicals need to get it out before I start putting in mushrooms

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Legendary
Back