Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so my powder brown tang that’s been scratching itself a lot which has caused it to basically skin itself. I tried getting a good picture but no luck he’s really going at it and I’m wondering what I need to do to stop it. He doesn’t have any other symptoms and is eating great.
BB8E32DA-FEBC-4F58-A69A-7E1E103820EC.jpeg
4EF8060E-E2CA-4246-AD48-64A2A4EDFF86.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey guys so my powder brown tang that’s been scratching itself a lot which has caused it to basically skin itself. I tried getting a good picture but no luck he’s really going at it and I’m wondering what I need to do to stop it. He doesn’t have any other symptoms and is eating great.View attachment 3022901View attachment 3022906
Generally with no notable signs of parasites and the fact that its scratching suggests flukes. With flukes other symptoms you may notice is rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.
Often, you can offer a freshwater dip for 5 mins in tap water the same temperature as display tank. This will dislodge flukes if any and offer temporary relief. Assure the container used is Clean and after returning fish to tank, look on bottom of container for what looks like fish scales or sesame seeds. Those will be fluke worms. You may need a flashlight to best see them.
You can do prazi as a precaution assuming its flukes. To be safe , dose at 80% of recommended and allow it to do its thing for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so my powder brown tang that’s been scratching itself a lot which has caused it to basically skin itself. I tried getting a good picture but no luck he’s really going at it and I’m wondering what I need to do to stop it. He doesn’t have any other symptoms and is eating great.View attachment 3022901View attachment 3022906

Scratching to the point of skin damage is usually a sign of skin flukes and is not normal. You can treat that with prazipro in you display tank - two treatments, 8 days apart with good aeration. You need to stop collecting skimmate - but keep running the skimmer, and remove carbon during the treatment.
Jay

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanted 2 opinions from 2 guys you should have said that from the start. Don't waste our time.
I appreciate advice from everyone!!!!! The way I see it the more people comment the more help I get.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally with no notable signs of parasites and the fact that its scratching suggests flukes. With flukes other symptoms you may notice is rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.
Often, you can offer a freshwater dip for 5 mins in tap water the same temperature as display tank. This will dislodge flukes if any and offer temporary relief. Assure the container used is Clean and after returning fish to tank, look on bottom of container for what looks like fish scales or sesame seeds. Those will be fluke worms. You may need a flashlight to best see them.
You can do prazi as a precaution assuming its flukes. To be safe , dose at 80% of recommended and allow it to do its thing for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite
On the fresh water dip do I just put the fish in tab water with chlorine and all? Or do I use rodi water and acclimate him slowly?

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratching to the point of skin damage is usually a sign of skin flukes and is not normal. You can treat that with prazipro in you display tank - two treatments, 8 days apart with good aeration. You need to stop collecting skimmate - but keep running the skimmer, and remove carbon during the treatment.
Jay
It won’t hurt any of my corals or inverts?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won’t hurt any of my corals or inverts?
Nope - just dose it accurately and add good aeration and the inverts will be fine.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
On the fresh water dip do I just put the fish in tab water with chlorine and all? Or do I use rodi water and acclimate him slowly?
Just tap water

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. Tapwater with the temperature matched. If it's chlorinated, this would actually be a good use of Prime or similar.

An airstone isn't a terrible idea either, if you have one.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did the freshwater dip I got three flukes off. Not as many as I wanted I think he still has two but it’s a good start until that medicine gets here. It was 5 minutes in the bath and I didn’t want to wait any longer.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back