+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

My nuvo 20's got a bit of an acoel flatworm population that I want to reduce and I'm also in search of the final 3rd fish for this tank and really want a possum wrasse. Sounds like a good match although I'm not sure if this tank would work for one though? I've heard they need tons of rocks to pick at and my 20g has just two rockwork islands.

Experts, what are your thoughts?

Also, how do they do in medicated QT. My LFS has two yellow banded wrasses but I'm sure they probably have parasites and ive heard horror story's about rockless QT/copper

20230117_181300.jpg

Flatwoooorms

20230117_180719.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a possum wrasse through medicated QT. Did great in Copper Power for 30 days along with Metroplex And Kanaplex to treat eye infections. All was well and then Bam! Uronema burst out his side and he was gone within hours. It was heartbreaking. Knowing how delicate they are and I never seem to find them in great condition at the lfs I will probably never try another.
ADE6DE51-BB06-4888-A1B9-8BF9C4737B6C.jpeg
5C2A3060-FA45-4183-8BF2-FAC0EB370E2D.jpeg
60EAD718-F056-43F7-B2DF-E799D6654C37.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

What are your other two fish? Possum Wrasses are very timid. They do not do well with semi-aggressive or aggressive tank mates.

You should not medicate with rockwork .
1.) the rock will absorb a lot of the medication. This will make maintaining therapeutic levels, close to impossible. Risk leaching medication long after treatment.
2.). will kill invertebrates and corals.

You could do an unmedicated quarantine if this is your first QT. This will allow watching your new comer for any diseases without risking current inhabitants. Though I suggest at minimum treating with prazipro. There are many guides on here on how to properly setup a QT tank. Poor qt setup is the cause of most qt deaths.

OP
OP
C

Captain45

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clown goby and firefish. They do their own thing, thats why a possum seems like a good addition cause I need something to eat these acoels and fit in with the peaceful crowd.

I wouldnt do a medicated with rockwork, I do have 10g that I can use for a standard QT/treatment tank but I'm still feeling that these little possums do terrible in a QT tank with no pods and such to snack on. I do have a fluval 13.5 thats been up running with a few soft corals and LR for a year or two without fish. Im curious about trying an unmedicated QT (more observational) for a few months and seeing how it goes. However I couldnt treat Prazi in that fluval...

Hrmm

If anyone knows of any other small fish that eat flatworms and may be a bit hardier, I'm all ears.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
C

Captain45

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springeri damsels will eat flatworms. They’re much better behaved than most damsels, too.

Good call. Appears Dr Reefs quarantine have the Springeri's in stock full quarantined and ready to ship. I may go that route so I can drop him right into my DT.

They arent as charismatic as a wrasse but less headache is always better.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, Wetmorella and Pseudocheilinops are two genera that just do terribly in QT. They’re best put straight into an established reef tank. The Wetmorella genus doesn’t feed on flatworms as much as the Pseudocheilinops genus does though, so if you wanted the wrasse for an ornamental view then you may want to go for the Wetmorella but if you wanted a helper then you’ll want to get a Pseudocheilinops. Here’s one of my Pseudocheilinops ataenia - These aren’t like the Pseudocheilinus genus and are incredibly peaceful.
2E82491E-93C5-4FDE-8086-818C42DA5F2F.jpeg

Tchung23

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clown goby and firefish. They do their own thing, thats why a possum seems like a good addition cause I need something to eat these acoels and fit in with the peaceful crowd.

I wouldnt do a medicated with rockwork, I do have 10g that I can use for a standard QT/treatment tank but I'm still feeling that these little possums do terrible in a QT tank with no pods and such to snack on. I do have a fluval 13.5 thats been up running with a few soft corals and LR for a year or two without fish. Im curious about trying an unmedicated QT (more observational) for a few months and seeing how it goes. However I couldnt treat Prazi in that fluval...

Hrmm

If anyone knows of any other small fish that eat flatworms and may be a bit hardier, I'm all ears.
pink streaked wrasse

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

ManWithAClam

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a possum wrasse in a 54 gallon, constantly scavenging the rocks and isn't nearly as timid as people say they are, @i cant think is right about how the Wetmorella genus doesn’t feed on flatworms as much as the pseudocheilinops genus, that being said, i haven't seen a single flatworm since i added him almost a year ago, i think either one would help with your infestation.

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general possum wrasse do terrible in quarantine and are terrible with medication. In my opinion, only get one at the lfs if it looks healthy and is eating aggressively with normal coloration, and really only get one if you're willing to risk it and immediately toss it into your DT. Otherwise imo better left in the ocean

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a possum wrasse in a 54 gallon, constantly scavenging the rocks and isn't nearly as timid as people say they are, @i cant think is right about how the Wetmorella genus doesn’t feed on flatworms as much as the pseudocheilinops genus, that being said, i haven't seen a single flatworm since i added him almost a year ago, i think either one would help with your infestation.
This could be the fact most flatworms are nocturnal, but yes they can feed on the flatties and other ‘pests’. As for timidity, yours is likely to have been established for a while so it’ll be used to you. Mine was nowhere near as bold and could be rather timid. Now I have my pink streaks and they’re very similar with how once established they do become much bolder but until then, they’re really not that bold.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a baby/small yellow banded possum wrasse In my 17 gallon. She(?) was doing great and swimming around the tank at the store then once she was bagged she decided for the entire trip home she would lay on her back not moving so I didn’t even acclimate her I just got her straight it and she perked right up and found her favorite spot right under the hang on filter. She lives with a small blue eye royal dottyback who is super docile and does it’s own thing and two clowns that just quarrel with each other. I always have to make sure she gets enough food because the clowns scoff it down. She has duller colors to other yellow banded possum wrasses does that mean she is a female? Anyways she has been doing amazingly in my aquarium but I do have a lot of live rock and I have one piece that has a lot of holes in it and is hollow inside where she sleeps so she isn’t always in the open. I am hoping to get copepods soon so that she has a constant food source and can scavenge.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Legendary
Back