Possible to tell the difference between male and female Greissenger Gobies (maybe even breed them?)

BRS

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i think the shop has multiple Greissenger Gobies they got in on Wednesday and only cost $27 each. I would consider buying a pair but don't know if they would fight or not...does anyone know? Is there a way to tell the difference between male and female? Furthermore, would it be possible to breed them if the sexes could be distinguished between?

AquaCave Logo Banner

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i think the shop has multiple Greissenger Gobies they got in on Wednesday and only cost $27 each. I would consider buying a pair but don't know if they would fight or not...does anyone know? Is there a way to tell the difference between male and female? Furthermore, would it be possible to breed them if the sexes could be distinguished between?
This is the only thing I can find with any info on sexing/breeding them (assuming they wouldn't go for rotifers, they would need Parvocalanus nauplii or similar tiny feed):
So, if you can get a male and female (which it sounds like there may or may not be a reliable way to determine the sex of each, and they might be sequential hermaphrodites), then they can breed, but there will likely be some minor to moderate aggression between them (it sounds like it's involved with the breeding).

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only thing I can find with any info on sexing/breeding them (assuming they wouldn't go for rotifers, they would need Parvocalanus nauplii or similar tiny feed):
So, if you can get a male and female (which it sounds like there may or may not be a reliable way to determine the sex of each, and they might be sequential hermaphrodites), then they can breed, but there will likely be some minor to moderate aggression between them (it sounds like it's involved with the breeding).
Thanks for the link! I was just talking to Matthew Pederson (editor of Coral Magazine and he said at that price if he were trying to breed them he'd grab em all and sort out the pairs later...that would certainly require a bigger tank devoid of predators such as hitchhiking crabs and other hitchhikers though...

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link! I was just talking to Matthew Pederson (editor of Coral Magazine and he said at that price if he were trying to breed them he'd grab em all and sort out the pairs later...that would certainly require a bigger tank devoid of predators such as hitchhiking crabs and other hitchhikers though...
Yeah, tiny fish don't mix well with crabs, haha.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back