Possible tank upgrade

BlueSallymandr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a beginner starting to think of upgrading my first reef tank. Right now I'm running a 16 gallon Coralife BioCube, and I'm thinking of getting the Red Sea Max Nano G2 XL (33 gallons). I know that larger tanks are supposed to be easier, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with this or a similar model? My available space is limited, and the Max Nano is about as big as I could possibly go. I like that it has a built in ATO system and an option for a fancier one if I want to go that route. I would buy a screened lid for it to keep the fish in and the cat out, lol.

I would move my current livestock over to the new tank. I have a mix of softies and LPS corals, and I would rather stick with that than try to grow SPS corals. What do you think? I'm also open to suggestions for a similar sized setup, but since I'm a beginner I'm not sure I want to put together a tank from scratch (I would prefer an AIO setup).

00W

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a beginner starting to think of upgrading my first reef tank. Right now I'm running a 16 gallon Coralife BioCube, and I'm thinking of getting the Red Sea Max Nano G2 XL (33 gallons). I know that larger tanks are supposed to be easier, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with this or a similar model? My available space is limited, and the Max Nano is about as big as I could possibly go. I like that it has a built in ATO system and an option for a fancier one if I want to go that route. I would buy a screened lid for it to keep the fish in and the cat out, lol.

I would move my current livestock over to the new tank. I have a mix of softies and LPS corals, and I would rather stick with that than try to grow SPS corals. What do you think? I'm also open to suggestions for a similar sized setup, but since I'm a beginner I'm not sure I want to put together a tank from scratch (I would prefer an AIO setup).
Firstly welcome Welcome to R2R!
Sorry no one has responded to your queries but maybe this will get others moving in that direction.
I have never had an AIO but a lot of people do and have great success with them so if that's what you want I say go for it!
How about some pictures of your tank?

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar setup to that Red Sea reefer and I didn’t get any SPS because they required to much care in such a small tank.

Bigger is definitely better, so i would go as big as you can, but you if can’t, that setup will be perfectly fine. my similar setup was great and I had no problems. for the most part.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, whatever you upgrade to won't be enough. 29g was my first, then 75, then 90. Those are long gone now, but my next will be scant over 200. And that's as big as I can go the way my house is set up. So yeah. It's inevitable.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back