Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. Recently I had bought a mcoskers fairy wrasse, which I assumed would do well as I had always had good luck with wrasses. Well after a few days he went missing, and he never came back. I assume that he is dead which gets me kind of worried because I started seeing a potential illness in my larger clown. He normally is a very avid eater but hasnt been eating for the last several days which I noticed right away. I also noticed that he had stringy white poop which isn’t a very good sign. I am thinking that the new addition of the wrasse may have brought some sort of disease and I need some help IDing it. Thanks for your support and hopefully it isn’t anything awful. Heres a video and some pictures: IMG_3366.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3367.mov
    49.3 MB
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello everyone. Recently I had bought a mcoskers fairy wrasse, which I assumed would do well as I had always had good luck with wrasses. Well after a few days he went missing, and he never came back. I assume that he is dead which gets me kind of worried because I started seeing a potential illness in my larger clown. He normally is a very avid eater but hasnt been eating for the last several days which I noticed right away. I also noticed that he had stringy white poop which isn’t a very good sign. I am thinking that the new addition of the wrasse may have brought some sort of disease and I need some help IDing it. Thanks for your support and hopefully it isn’t anything awful. Heres a video and some pictures: View attachment 3123636
the fish has good breathing and what appears as normal behavior. As for white poop, it is often assumed that its an internal issue when its excess mucus based on foods fed such as Mysis shrimp and other fatty foods. Assure your ammonia and nitrate as well as salinity has not become elevated.
From the wrasse, did you use any of the bag water into the display tank?
On the wrasse, did you check the tank overflow to see if it snuck in there? Also check the floor around the tank as they are notorious jumpers.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - I don't see anything in the video - slow breathing, perhaps a bit lethargic.

What is the timeline between adding the McCoskers, it going missing and then the development of this issue with the clown (in days).

Jay

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
ConnorDaReefa

ConnorDaReefa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the fish has good breathing and what appears as normal behavior. As for white poop, it is often assumed that its an internal issue when its excess mucus based on foods fed such as Mysis shrimp and other fatty foods. Assure your ammonia and nitrate as well as salinity has not become elevated.
From the wrasse, did you use any of the bag water into the display tank?
On the wrasse, did you check the tank overflow to see if it snuck in there? Also check the floor around the tank as they are notorious jumpers.
Well the salinity and parameters seem normal. I didnt use any of the bag water as I know that it is a fair risk of bringing contaminants. I checked the overflow and floor around the tank again and there wasnt anything. Im guessing he probably died then as theres really no way he could have fit into the overflow anyway and the lid I use should have stopped him if he were to jump.

OP
OP
ConnorDaReefa

ConnorDaReefa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - I don't see anything in the video - slow breathing, perhaps a bit lethargic.

What is the timeline between adding the McCoskers, it going missing and then the development of this issue with the clown (in days).

Jay
I added the McCockers about 16 days ago or so and he went disappearing about 3 days after he was added (13 days ago) then about 2 or 3 days ago I noticed the clownfish stopped eating and seems a little lethargic.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the McCockers about 16 days ago or so and he went disappearing about 3 days after he was added (13 days ago) then about 2 or 3 days ago I noticed the clownfish stopped eating and seems a little lethargic.
Well, the timeline does line up with the wrasse possibly bringing some disease into your tank - but the clown’s symptoms are not definitive for any particular disease….so I’m at a loss to come up with a treatment, sorry.
If you see the clownfish flashing/scratching on surfaces, it could be flukes.
Jay

Corals.com
OP
OP
ConnorDaReefa

ConnorDaReefa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may also note that his face seems a bit sunken in which may be just a symptom of him not eating but it might not have been easy to see in the video I sent.

OP
OP
ConnorDaReefa

ConnorDaReefa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the timeline does line up with the wrasse possibly bringing some disease into your tank - but the clown’s symptoms are not definitive for any particular disease….so I’m at a loss to come up with a treatment, sorry.
Jay
Thank you for the help though. I will try my best to keep an eye out for any other signs but I haven’t seen scratching as of yet. I dont know how much longer he will live if he continues to not eat but so far nobody else seems to be affected.

OP
OP
ConnorDaReefa

ConnorDaReefa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
ConnorDaReefa

ConnorDaReefa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops, i meant to reply I will like to note that I have seen symptoms of flashing against the rocks aswell as a few fish gaping their mouths open every once and a while. Should I start treating for flukes or could it be something else?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops, i meant to reply I will like to note that I have seen symptoms of flashing against the rocks aswell as a few fish gaping their mouths open every once and a while. Should I start treating for flukes or could it be something else?
Treating for flukes is pretty easy to do, and safe for the fish, so aside for the cost it is a good option. You would dose Prazipro twice, 8 days apart. You’ll want to remove carbon filtration. Keep any skimmers running, but don’t collect any skimmate. You should add an air stone to the tank. Most people change 25% of the water before the second treatment.
Jay

OP
OP
ConnorDaReefa

ConnorDaReefa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treating for flukes is pretty easy to do, and safe for the fish, so aside for the cost it is a good option. You would dose Prazipro twice, 8 days apart. You’ll want to remove carbon filtration. Keep any skimmers running, but don’t collect any skimmate. You should add an air stone to the tank. Most people change 25% of the water before the second treatment.
Jay
Thank you

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ecotech Marine
Back