Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help identify and possible cure for my anthias. Looks like an injury or possible infection. Been through the TTM with 3 rounds of formalin baths in between transfers. Also dosed kanaplex twice so far. Thank you in advance

7B1CC68A-CA51-48B6-BC5F-4B29376B398D.png

Avast

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Please help identify and possible cure for my anthias. Looks like an injury or possible infection. Been through the TTM with 3 rounds of formalin baths in between transfers. Also dosed kanaplex twice so far. Thank you in advance

View attachment 3010904
Yes- looks like a post injury which has become infected and is bacterial in nature. Treatment will be warranted in a quarantine setting with either Ruby rally pro or preferably Seachem Kanaplex. Maintain good water quality in QT and add aeration with air stone

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3010904
What was the dosage and time for the formalin baths?
Jay

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1ml per gallon for an hour with a bubbler for aeration
1ml of pure formalin (37% formaldehyde)? That works out to be 266 ppm! That is 100 ppm higher than the normal high dose for tropical marines. I’m not sure where you got that dose, but is wrong, glad it didn’t kill your fish outright, but I worry about delayed issues.
The three doses of kanaplex were spaced out at 2 day intervals? If so, you gave it a chance to work, I’d switch up antibiotics - possibly Neoplex next.
Jay

OP
OP
kiet_kat

kiet_kat

Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosage came from humble.fish.

1) In-tank treatment: 1 ml per 10 gallons (or 2 drops per gallon) daily in a bare aquarium for 7-10 days. This produces a concentration of 25 ppm. Dosage may be cut in half (12.5 ppm) for sensitive species or extremely sick fish which may not be able to tolerate a "full" treatment.

2) 30-60 minute bath treatment: 1 ml per gallon or 20 drops per gallon premixed into the water. This produces a concentration of 250 ppm. Dosage may be reduced to 200ppm (16 drops per gallon) or even 150ppm (12 drops per gallon) for sensitive species or extremely sick fish which may not be able to tolerate a "full" treatment. Treat for a maximum of 60 minutes if the fish seems to be handling the bath fine, but cut it short (30 minutes) if breathing becomes too heavy. The bath is best done in a large glass bowl or container, but a food grade plastic bucket is fine as well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosage came from humble.fish.

1) In-tank treatment: 1 ml per 10 gallons (or 2 drops per gallon) daily in a bare aquarium for 7-10 days. This produces a concentration of 25 ppm. Dosage may be cut in half (12.5 ppm) for sensitive species or extremely sick fish which may not be able to tolerate a "full" treatment.

2) 30-60 minute bath treatment: 1 ml per gallon or 20 drops per gallon premixed into the water. This produces a concentration of 250 ppm. Dosage may be reduced to 200ppm (16 drops per gallon) or even 150ppm (12 drops per gallon) for sensitive species or extremely sick fish which may not be able to tolerate a "full" treatment. Treat for a maximum of 60 minutes if the fish seems to be handling the bath fine, but cut it short (30 minutes) if breathing becomes too heavy. The bath is best done in a large glass bowl or container, but a food grade plastic bucket is fine as well.

That maximum dose is too high/too long and is not supported by solid references like Noga or Herwig. I’ve used formalin for over 45 years and the only time you dose at 250 ppm is for cold water fish, < 15 degrees C. That calculation above is not 250 ppm, it is actually 266 ppm, so even higher than that.

I wonder - I keep hearing from people that say formalin killed their fish with some sort of residual damage. I’ve never seen that, but now I wonder if they are following that advice, it could do that?

150 ppm for 45 minutes is well tolerated and very effective. If you read between the lines, he has a bunch of caveats against using that full dose, making it more in line with accepted standards.

I should also add that formalin is dangerous to humans, I won’t use it in my house, and I limited my exposure at work about 15 years ago to almost nil.

Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Vivid
Back