Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it all! Lol, okay okay I'll give a bit more information! So I've had my frag tank back up and running for the last 6 or 7 months now. I at first had a lominie s120 light over the tank (I've read reviews that compare it to the kessil a360 in terms of par output and wattage etc.. it's a decent cheap light that worked pretty dang well) I upgraded the lights over my 55 and decided to move my other lights around. So I stuck one viparspectra over my 40B the lomini s120 over my daughters 20 gallon, and my apex enabled viparspectra over the frag tank, I matched up the par levels using my seneye meter and the overall par reading in the frag tank (jbj 20 gallon) of roughly 150, give or take a few points here and there. Anyway, I've been slowely watching my porites turn dark. At first it was a very vibrant neon green, it was growing exceptionally well, full polyp extension the works! It was doing amazing! I got the porites in a piece of 4in PVC tubing along with some fire coral that was stuck to the backside. Paid 30$ for it and ended up getting 108 frags out of it. So I've been watching the corals slowly turn colors which I do know some corals do, like mintipora can change colors depending on par levels, or so I've read. So my question.. what the heck. If the par levels are the same as before. The flow is the same as before, the water is technically more stable since I added the ato to the tank. Why would the coral darken up like that. I'm going to try up the par levels a bit over time and see if I can get the vibrant green to come back, but anyone got any ideas? See below for tank parameters,
Alk 9.4dkh
Ph 8.2-8.4
Salinity 1.025
Ca 475ppm
PO⁴ 0.06ppm
NO³ 12.6ppm
Mg 1365ppm
I² 0.06ppm

Realistically the only thing that has changed on the tank since i first put them in there is i switched from kalk to all for reef, then switched back to kalk about 3 weeks later. And swapped out the light. So any of you lovely people have any clue as to what's going on? I am tempted to switch the lights back and see if i can improve them but I'd like to try get them to grow well under the viparspectra too. Sorry for the long rambling post

Oh! The lights are set currently to: blue max % 8, whites 0. On for 11 hrs. Ramp up from 9am to 12 am. Then ramp down from 4pm 8pm

20221123_192829.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
tyronbes

tyronbes

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the same level of alkalinity you've always maintained? I try to keep mine in the 8.0-8.35 range.
Yes alk has been stable at 9.2-9.4dkh for the last 6 months, only time it dropped was for the week or so I tried all for reef. I did just notice my nitrates have bottomed out. Which is definitely concerning considering it has been pretty stable at 12ppm. But measured twice yesterday and both times it came back at 0.0ppm

BRS
TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NYOS
Back