Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got a porcupine puffer 3 days ago he's active and eats will lay on a rock here and there and will pick at our hermit crabs idk if laying on the rock is normal for them he will get us at the tank. He likes to eat there's nothing in his gills.

20230110_104916.jpg 20230109_132509.jpg 20230108_132754.jpg 20230108_132805.jpg 20230109_112034.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
S

Sgiron28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 2968076Here’s my porc had him about six months now always curious as to what’s going on in the dining room lol. One of the most personable fish I’ve owned you won’t regret bringing him home!
He looks just like mine and he is very curious on what's going out side the tank and loves food how many times do you feed you puffer

Top Shelf Aquatics

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks just like mine and he is very curious on what's going out side the tank and loves food how many times do you feed you puffer
I feed mine once per day but it’s cut up chunks of raw shrimp so it’s a big feeding .

michael_cb_125

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty little fish, and will become like a little puppy with time.

That said, he does look a bit thin.
Also, from the photos it is a bit hard to tell, but it looks like he may be carrying ick. This is super common in these puffers, and many time with proper diet and care them handle it well. Treatment is another option, but puffers can be temperamental with certain medications..

~Michael

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
S

Sgiron28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty little fish, and will become like a little puppy with time.

That said, he does look a bit thin.
Also, from the photos it is a bit hard to tell, but it looks like he may be carrying ick. This is super common in these puffers, and many time with proper diet and care them handle it well. Treatment is another option, but puffers can be temperamental with certain medications..

~Michael
I was looking at that too but when I get close the spots look brown there not raised and the ones on his body is the sand floating around from my eel and maroon clownfish they throw sand lol his gills look good he's not iching he did come from what looked like not so great water but I had to bring him home he just kept following me around and so inactive no new spots no appetite change

michael_cb_125

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is feeding actively, I would definitely feed at least twice a day for a while. While you don't want to alter water quality, you do want to get him fattened up. When fully healthy, these guys can handle ick quite well. But when immune compromised, it can do then in quickly.

BYW, almost all porcupines that I see come in have ick, they are truly a magnet for it.
~Michael

AS
OP
OP
S

Sgiron28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is feeding actively, I would definitely feed at least twice a day for a while. While you don't want to alter water quality, you do want to get him fattened up. When fully healthy, these guys can handle ick quite well. But when immune compromised, it can do then in quickly.

BYW, almost all porcupines that I see come in have ick, they are truly a magnet for it.
~Michael
Should I treat him and the rest of the fish everyone else seems fine

michael_cb_125

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first verify that the fish truly does have an issue. While I am fairly certain on my diagnosis, I am only looking at photos, and it can be hard to 100% verify issues this way. Has the fish been introduced into the display with other fish? If so, and i am correct on Ick, all the fish are compromised. That said, ick is not a death sentence.
Since the fish is eating, I would continue feeding and monitor for a few days before trying to treat.

~Michael

OP
OP
S

Sgiron28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first verify that the fish truly does have an issue. While I am fairly certain on my diagnosis, I am only looking at photos, and it can be hard to 100% verify issues this way. Has the fish been introduced into the display with other fish? If so, and i am correct on Ick, all the fish are compromised. That said, ick is not a death sentence.
Since the fish is eating, I would continue feeding and monitor for a few days before trying to treat.

~Michael
He seems fine otherwise I think he will swim and dose eat and pick on the hermit crabs alot and lays on top of the rock other fish seem fine there all eating we have a maroon clownfish, 2 dalmatian damsels a Picasso trigger and a snowflake eel all are eating , his fis concern me cause they look like white spects but when I look closer they look brown he came from a tank that look yucky our tank has great levels and selenity

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it looks like ich on the fins - if you don’t have any inverts in the tank, hyposalinity is an effective treatment.
Keep up with feedings to fatten it up, if it gets worse despite increased feedings, you may have to treat for parasites.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Hanna
Back