Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my Anthias has a popeye on the right eye, it started 2.5 weeks ago. Today, the eye is still cloudy and enlarged. It does not seem to go away. It is eating well.

Is treament required? I will not be able to take him out unless I take everthing apart in the DT. I prefer to treat at the DT if possible if there is reef safe medication. I have SPS and LPS.

Thanks

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
One of my Anthias has a popeye on the right eye, it started 2.5 weeks ago. Today, the eye is still cloudy and enlarged. It does not seem to go away. It is eating well.

Is treament required? I will not be able to take him out unless I take everthing apart in the DT. I prefer to treat at the DT if possible if there is reef safe medication. I have SPS and LPS.

Thanks
Likely stemmed from an injury treatment is required as it may be or become infected. Best recourse is to move to quarantine setting and treat with Maracyn AKA maracyn 1 which is ethromyacin for at least 5 days. Add aeration with airstone during treatment

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on erythromycin in a treatment tank. In some cases, the problem can go away on its own. If you post a picture I might be able to tell how serious your case in relation to those that I've seen get better.

Jay

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Weeb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
Sometimes the Popeye can be semi-corrected IF just an injury and not infected, by upping food quality and adding supplements. Beta glucan can help (see Fish Nutrition post). BUT, if infected or if it is caused by infection the fish will need an antibiotic treatment in a hospital tank.

OP
OP
R

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second eye became infected thus the fish was treated with Maracyn. Today is the fifth day of treatment. The second eye is now clear but the first eye is still cloudy. I am not sure if this eye is permanent damage maybe because I waited too long to do the treatment. During this entire treatment, the fish has not eaten a thing when it is fed. Should I put it back in the DT or continue with the treatment for another day or so? Thanks

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AVAST
Back