Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased 4 Spotcinctus clownfish from LFS. Brought home Saturday with no visible issues. Copperpower medicated QT 2.5ppm. Day 3 and two clowns have cloudy eye on one and cloudy eye and popeye on second. Got a video. They are eating spirulina enriched brine shrimp. https://photos.app.goo.gl/W49S9V6tkQASepQaA I added 2.5ml Imagitarium (Petco brand) Bacterial Infection Remedy my roommate had on hand. It states that it will treat Popeye and cloudy eye and in fact has a clownfish on the label (not that makes it better lol). It says to do 2.5ml every 3 days. Tomorrow is water change day so will be doing a 100% WC. Should I keep treating with copperpower and this Bacterial Infection Remedy form Petco? https://paywut.com/products/imagitarium-bacterial-infection-remedy

Last edited:
Avast

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased 4 Spotcinctus clownfish from LFS. Brought home Saturday with no visible issues. Copperpower medicated QT 2.5ppm. Day 3 and two clowns have cloudy eye on one and cloudy eye and popeye on second. Got a video. They are eating spirulina enriched brine shrimp. https://photos.app.goo.gl/W49S9V6tkQASepQaA I added 2.5ml Imagitarium (Petco brand) Bacterial Infection Remedy my roommate had on hand. It states that it will treat Popeye and cloudy eye and in fact has a clownfish on the label (not that makes it better lol). It says to do 2.5ml every 3 days. Tomorrow is water change day so will be doing a 100% WC. Should I keep treating with copperpower and this Bacterial Infection Remedy form Petco? https://paywut.com/products/imagitarium-bacterial-infection-remedy

They are not very clear as to what their product contains, but it is "herbal", so not a true antibiotic, and more of a tonic. In general, these products are designed to sell in areas like Canada and Europe, where true antibiotics cannot be sold without a prescription. Trouble is, they are not very effective. I prefer to use Maracyn 1 (Erythromycin) on external eye issues - but even that doesn't always help.

These sorts of eye issues usually stem from an injury - perhaps when it was caught up for you to take home. However, this fish is also breathing REALLY fast. That means something else is going on here.

What is the ammonia level in the tank, and what method to you have to test it? Ammonia levels can climb to 1 ppm in a day's time if there isn't an active bio filter.

Also - is that a power sponge filter or air driven? If not air driven, do you have an air stone in the tank to help with gas exchange?

Do you have other tanks to move these fish into? I'm not really confident that these four fish are going to stay compatible with one another very long.

Jay

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple empty tanks that I use for doing HTTM during my QT. SO I can split them up. You are correct about your assumption that something else is up. Before you replied I sent the video to my buddy who runs the LFS I got the fish at. He told me to come get some Fritz Maracyn Oxy to treat them. He was not at the store but at home. When I got to the store I mentioned to the person working that I needed the Maracyn Oxy for 4 Clowns I got from them this weekend and told her about their condition. Her first question was, what tank were they in? I point over to the tower of tanks and all the tanks in that tower have QT NFS signs up and walk over and Ich on the tangs and some anthenias. The clowns came out of the tank the athenias were in. So I am pretty sure they got more than just popeye and cloudy eye. Also, it is a power sponge filter not air driven. I have air stone in tank. @Jay Hemdal advice?

Last edited:
World Wide Corals

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Pic is very fuzzy to clearly see anything

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple empty tanks that I use for doing HTTM during my QT. SO I can split them up. You are correct about your assumption that something else is up. Before you replied I sent the video to my buddy who runs the LFS I got the fish at. He told me to come get some Fritz Maracyn Oxy to treat them. He was not at the store but at home. When I got to the store I mentioned to the person working that I needed the Maracyn Oxy for 4 Clowns I got from them this weekend and told her about their condition. Her first question was, what tank were they in? I point over to the tower of tanks and all the tanks in that tower have QT NFS signs up and walk over and Ich on the tangs and some anthenias. The clowns came out of the tank the athenias were in. So I am pretty sure they got more than just popeye and cloudy eye. Also, it is a power sponge filter not air driven. I have air stone in tank. @Jay Hemdal advice?

Is the ammonia at zero? If so, and the aeration doesn't resolve the rapid breathing, I would start copper on them ASAP.

Jay

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were on Copper Power @ 2.5ppm on day 1 in QT. I am going to do a WC early and do it tonight. I got a second QT setup 2.5ppm Copper Power adding Secham Prime since its safe with CP to help prevent ammonia build up. I only have API ammonia tester. Should I add the Fritz Maracyn Oxy or no? The Oxy says its good for bacterial conditions such as the swollen eyes and rapid breathing. I just don't know how it will react with CP. Also should I split the two with no visible symptoms off into separate QT?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
BRS
OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Fritz website linked above: Fritz Maracyn® Oxy successfully controls true fungal infections caused by Saprolegnia, Ichthyosporidium, egg fungus and related species, and some common bacterial infections, such as fin and tail rot. Fritz Maracyn® Oxy can be used to treat fish exhibiting the following symptoms: clamped fins, swollen eyes, heavy or rapid breathing, patchy coloration or any change in behavior of the fish.

If you are unsure of the specific infection, Maracyn® Oxy may be used concurrently with Coppersafe®, Maracyn® or Maracyn® Two.

Coppersafe = Chelated Copper same as Copper Power.

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
swollen eyes and rapid breathing. I also observed today in the tanks at the LFS with the sick fish some had a cotton like covering on their sides which matches some of the descriptions of symptoms Fritz lists that this med is for.

Also just got word back form my buddy back at the LFS it was velvet in that tower not ich.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
swollen eyes and rapid breathing. I also observed today in the tanks at the LFS with the sick fish some had a cotton like covering on their sides which matches some of the descriptions of symptoms Fritz lists that this med is for.

Also just got word back form my buddy back at the LFS it was velvet in that tower not ich.

Since they've been in copper since you got them, it is unlikely that they have an active velvet infection - but that will certainly cause the rapid breathing seen.

Mar Oxy supposedly works against fungal diseases, but external fungus, like Saprolegnea are not found in marine fishes except in a few instances (very rare - I've only seen three cases over the years).

What is your ammonia reading on the API test before a water change?

Jay

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Ammonia on the 1st QT was between 0 and 0.23 by the API color chart. I also have one of the free ammonia badges from seecham and it has not changed color from the yellow good to the warning green. So I do not think its an ammonia issue. I added the May Oxy last night when I moved them to the new QT. This morning the one clown with popeye and the same popeye is cloudy the swelling has reduced, and his eye is less cloudy. So I think the meds are helping.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the one who seemed like his swelling had gone down and eye was not as cloudy died. He was looking better this morning then an hour ago I saw he was having issues maintaining his orientation while trying to swim and kept doing barrel rolls. I ran my room mate to work and when I got back I just found him dead, stuck to the sponge filter.

Corals.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RC
Back