Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had snails going missing and they would have a slime on their empty shells. Thought it was some sort of worm but just happened to notice a 3” polyclad flatworm of some type. Assuming it was him. Went to grab it and of course it broke and a chunk went into a wave pump. Of course is became a slurry. I assume these things regenerate from the bits? ‍
Here is a pick of the two bits left.

1D65B14F-5B77-4F8E-87B4-0B55F7FE2FA6.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
They can repair and move forward. Best removal is siphoning them with a 1/4” tubing and discard

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several articles I found seem to suggest that regeneration in this type of flatworm is limited.

One quote "...marine polyclad flatworm, Notoplana acticola. Unlike some freshwater planarians which regenerate lost parts readily and may even grow new brains, polyclads have limited powers of regeneration and the brain seems to be essential for any repair which takes place"
(https://www.nature.com/articles/256737a0)

Here are some photos of Notoplana acticola; they look very similar to some found in our tanks...

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Second Shot

Second Shot

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. From a bit of searching I’m guessing it was a leopard polyclad which could be the same as you found because I couldn’t find a scientific name. I saw a couple research papers showing flatworms being cut in quadrants and studied. I’m doubting the pulverized pieces would regrow but time will tell. Now to see if there are any other large ones left in there.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. From a bit of searching I’m guessing it was a leopard polyclad which could be the same as you found because I couldn’t find a scientific name. I saw a couple research papers showing flatworms being cut in quadrants and studied. I’m doubting the pulverized pieces would regrow but time will tell. Now to see if there are any other large ones left in there.
Nah, those ones they cut up are the planaria type we used to dissect in high school biology.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Shon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think they can do it from the parts that went through the pump? That would be a disaster. Also, do you know if they eat anything besides snails?
Do you have gulf live rock? Don't know if it is the same we have in Florida waters, but one (Stylochus ellipitcus) look very much alike eat mussels, clams, oysters, barnacles & snails

I've also read they'll go for freshly molted crab, but cannot find source at the moment.

OP
OP
Second Shot

Second Shot

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have gulf live rock? Don't know if it is the same we have in Florida waters, but one (Stylochus ellipitcus) look very much alike eat mussels, clams, oysters, barnacles & snails

I've also read they'll go for freshly molted crab, but cannot find source at the moment.
Yeah you nailed it. I have Florida keys rock. I’ll look into that species. Thanks a lot

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Coral Frenzy
Back