Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So planning my plumbing out, going with colored schedule 40 and schedule 80 fittings. Have a few questions 1) should I use unions before and after gate/ball valves, so they can be removed. 2) should the manifold be plumbed back into the drain line to the sump. 3) would you plumb a uv sterilizer into return line and then the exit line from sterilizer back to manifold? Thanks in advance.

Nutramar Foods

CasperOe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Use unions where ever you can; it will make your life easier down the line when any maintenance has to be done- or in case any parts have to be replaced

2. I would plumb it like you suggest; from the return pump and back into the drain to the sump

3. If you plan to plumb in a UV, plump it in in-line from the return pump to the tank so that all water returned to the tank pass through and receive treatment

RocketEngineer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you guys recommend a gate valve for the return line or a ball valve??

Depends on the pump and/or drain configuration. If the drains can handle the pump(s) then you don’t need a valve. Some folks use a DC controlled return pump instead of a valve.

Having run them, I can honestly say I’m not a fan of manifolds. I feel I have much more control using individual pumps but realize that’s not for everyone. It means I can set up my return and drains once, then connect and disconnect the other items without messing up the flow. Also, I can leave the system running when doing maintenance. Just an alternate opinion.

OP
OP
Redemption626

Redemption626

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the pump and/or drain configuration. If the drains can handle the pump(s) then you don’t need a valve. Some folks use a DC controlled return pump instead of a valve.

Having run them, I can honestly say I’m not a fan of manifolds. I feel I have much more control using individual pumps but realize that’s not for everyone. It means I can set up my return and drains once, then connect and disconnect the other items without messing up the flow. Also, I can leave the system running when doing maintenance. Just an alternate opinion.
I plan on running the Neptune core 20 on my 90 gal.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
LA
Back