Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm progressing slowly with my 120 RR build. I got the return pump in today, as well as most of the fittings/valves etc.

The tank I've got has two overflows, with two holes drilled in the bottom of each overflow. I'm debating how to configure the plumbing with this setup.

I know that I don't want a Durso and a return in each, as this will likely be very loud (presumably louder still with a 12 foot vertical drop for the water into the basement sump)

I've considered a Herbie overflow in one, and a single return in the other, as well as a "throttled" drain to keep some water moving in that overflow.

I've considered dual Herbies, one in both overflows. I worry about the effectiveness of this, with them not being balanced to each other.

Finally I've considered a Herbie in one, and dual returns in the other with a hole drilled just under the water line in the return pipes to act as both a siphon break as well as to keep the water from going stagnant.

Is there a better way to configure this that I'm not thinking of?

mjw011689

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure you could do dual Herbies. The point of the gate valve is to tune it properly so you shouldn’t have any issues with them as long as you make all your pvc cuts the same. You would have to then run your returns up and over the back unless you drilled additional holes. I have a single center overflow in my 90 that I converted to herbie. One full siphon, one emergency drain, and rain the return up and over the back. Has worked very well for my setup and been going a few months.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion Lighting & Supply
Back