Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R, So im getting ready to plumb my custom 187 gallon reef tank and want to set things up simple, right and efficient the first time around. I currently have two vortech pumps (one M2 and one L2) that I plan to use for this setup. I also want to plumb in a UV (in a closed loop) from the start to avoid trying to have to plumb it in later (I have a 90 watt icecap UV sterilizer that is kind of long). Im running a shadow overflow from the tank into a synergy reef sk-60 sump. The sump and plumbing are all located in a room behind the tank that my wife and kids have dubbed my fish room (that's hidden by a murphy door so you cant tell the room is even there). This room also houses my mixing station, QT tanks, and any equipment I might need for the tank. Here is a picture of the back of the tank and sump for reference when looking over the 3 options I have put together so far. Sorry for the long intro, I just wanted to provide as much info on the setup as I can to help direct the feedback.

The sump will be raised about 10 inches once the stand im building for it is done. It will have casters on the stand so i can disconnect things and move it if needed for cleaning, maintenance, or even in emergencies like leaks. The UV is also in the picture so you can see how long it is.
IMG_2675.jpg

Now onto the actual plumbing options. First Option was my first iteration of the plumbing setup:
Tank Plumbing Layout.png

Option 1, without the bypass and upgraded some ball valves to gate valves to better control flow to equipment which was some feedback I got from ask BRS facebook group:
Tank Plumbing Layout Option 1.png

Option 2, was with the UV on one dedicated return pump with manifold on a separate return pump:
Tank Plumbing Layout Option 2.png

Option 3, was to have both return pumps plumb into one line that goes to both returns and powers both UV and manifold. This setup would also make it so all equipment would continue to run if I had a pump failure. My concern with this option was I have two different sized return pumps (an M2 and L2) and not sure if this will work or if it would cause the two pumps to fight each other and cause any issues when they meet. I have heard different things about doing two return pumps for redundancy but not sure the best setup for this. And I already having these two good return pumps at different sizes, I didnt want to have to purchase another one to match sizes if I can avoid it.
Tank Plumbing Layout Option 3.png

Thanks taking the time to read over these plumbing options and helping me make the best decision possible for this new setup. If you have some other options that might work out better please share.

Im just super anxious to get the plumbing done so I can fill this tank up and start cycling it. It was sitting in my garage since July while I was finishing my basement and fish room to put it in place. Now that its here in place I need to figure out all the plumbing so it can be filled up. Thanks again everyone!

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
K

Kush3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 2852893

Like this. From your return line split with two T fittings and a ball valve in between.
Interesting. i didnt think about doing it this way. And i assume the ball valve would control the flow going into the UV since the UV will be the path of least resistance. But basically having UV and manifold on one return and a straight dedicated return to my DT alone is the better way to set it up then?

Avast

Steve Hedges

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R, So im getting ready to plumb my custom 187 gallon reef tank and want to set things up simple, right and efficient the first time around. I currently have two vortech pumps (one M2 and one L2) that I plan to use for this setup. I also want to plumb in a UV (in a closed loop) from the start to avoid trying to have to plumb it in later (I have a 90 watt icecap UV sterilizer that is kind of long). Im running a shadow overflow from the tank into a synergy reef sk-60 sump. The sump and plumbing are all located in a room behind the tank that my wife and kids have dubbed my fish room (that's hidden by a murphy door so you cant tell the room is even there). This room also houses my mixing station, QT tanks, and any equipment I might need for the tank. Here is a picture of the back of the tank and sump for reference when looking over the 3 options I have put together so far. Sorry for the long intro, I just wanted to provide as much info on the setup as I can to help direct the feedback.

The sump will be raised about 10 inches once the stand im building for it is done. It will have casters on the stand so i can disconnect things and move it if needed for cleaning, maintenance, or even in emergencies like leaks. The UV is also in the picture so you can see how long it is.
View attachment 2852785

Now onto the actual plumbing options. First Option was my first iteration of the plumbing setup:
View attachment 2852790

Option 1, without the bypass and upgraded some ball valves to gate valves to better control flow to equipment which was some feedback I got from ask BRS facebook group:
View attachment 2852787

Option 2, was with the UV on one dedicated return pump with manifold on a separate return pump:
View attachment 2852788

Option 3, was to have both return pumps plumb into one line that goes to both returns and powers both UV and manifold. This setup would also make it so all equipment would continue to run if I had a pump failure. My concern with this option was I have two different sized return pumps (an M2 and L2) and not sure if this will work or if it would cause the two pumps to fight each other and cause any issues when they meet. I have heard different things about doing two return pumps for redundancy but not sure the best setup for this. And I already having these two good return pumps at different sizes, I didnt want to have to purchase another one to match sizes if I can avoid it.
View attachment 2852789

Thanks taking the time to read over these plumbing options and helping me make the best decision possible for this new setup. If you have some other options that might work out better please share.

Im just super anxious to get the plumbing done so I can fill this tank up and start cycling it. It was sitting in my garage since July while I was finishing my basement and fish room to put it in place. Now that its here in place I need to figure out all the plumbing so it can be filled up. Thanks again everyone!
Have you considered leaving your two return pumps alone. And adding a 3rd pump dedicated to the UV flow. Then you can adjust low for bacteria control or fast for algae control without disrupting your sump balance. You might plumb the UV from sump to sump and not directly to the DT. A flowmeter would be helpful on this line. Thoughts?

OP
OP
K

Kush3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered leaving your two return pumps alone. And adding a 3rd pump dedicated to the UV flow. Then you can adjust low for bacteria control or fast for algae control without disrupting your sump balance. You might plumb the UV from sump to sump and not directly to the DT. A flowmeter would be helpful on this line. Thoughts?
Yea i have considered doing this. I was hoping to plumb the uv in a closed loop from the sump to the DT (i read this is the best performance setup). I have noticed a lot of people that have room constraints (like under tank stand) doing it this way but i have a whole room dedicated to plumbing and equipment so figured if i could plumb it in line it would be best. Do you think it would be better to do sump (skimmer section) to sump (return section) and still get the same crystal clear water in the DT this way?

I do have a flow meter i plan on using for the uv to make sure its correct for what i want it to target. And i over sized the return pump that has the uv and manifold on it so i can adjust as needed when changing or adding equipment but maybe this was the wrong route. Nothing is plumbed yet, waiting on parts before i start the dry fitting process. Hopefully ill start this weekend. Thanks for the input btw!

Smoke-Town

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome looking sump. I would go option 2. You want a different pump on each return and shortest distance on the uv so you have the extra pump power to dial in the flow rate you want for it where the regular return doesn't matter as much what the flow rate is.

That is an interesting uv... I have a big 80 watt ultra uv and a 25 watt lifeguard aquatics uv... I've never seen a 90 watt that small or that good of a price... I think my 25 watt was similar price. Idk how they can fit 90 watts of bulb in that thing. I'll have to look into that more.

Nutramar Foods

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. i didnt think about doing it this way. And i assume the ball valve would control the flow going into the UV since the UV will be the path of least resistance. But basically having UV and manifold on one return and a straight dedicated return to my DT alone is the better way to set it up then?
This was how I imagined I will plumb my new tank, almost identical system setup to yours. Following along to see what you end up with. Looking to do it right the first time.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back