Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I redid my plumbing on my tank, since I built a sump from scratch. I finally got it put in this weekend. My drain pipe use to be short. (to the blue line) but I put a longer in because if I didn’t get my filter sock changed out soon enough water would splash out so I made it so it goes into the sump a littler further. Now my water gurgles. The water in my overflow box drains like a toilet and it’s super loud and annoying. Is it because I made the bottom pipe longer? I made the air vent hole on top bigger and also stuck an airline tube down the drain just too see if that made a difference and it hasn’t. I have tried putting more water in the sump to cover the bottom of the pipe in the sump and also took out water so the bottom of the pipe would be exposed too air. Why is it doing this? If I cut the pipe and make it shorter will that really fix the problem. I did switch which hole drained and which returned but I don’t know why that would make a difference. Everything else is the same.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t want your drain submerged too much this will cause the “gurgling” sound you mention. Also it sounds like you only have 1 drain pipe? If so it’s pretty much impossible to make it silent without an additional drain pipe where you can implement a herbie overflow or bean animal if you had 3 pipes. Trust me I know I have 1x1-1/2” drain pipe on my 180 and I found out real quick it’s not ideal lol. I run a durso which helps but it’s definitely not silent.

YOYOYOReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm i run 1 1/2 drain , have a ball valve on it,, have 2 sicce syncra 5.5's with head height probably doing about 1600 gph thru it on a 120 gallon tank.. i do have a coast to coast 8 foot overflow . its quiet. i have 2 1 inch extra drains there in case the main one would clog

Top Shelf Aquatics

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no picture and don't know how much space you have, but I'd try a reverse durso. Here's a diagram and note the elbow could also be a street elbow to tighten it up a bit.

1673903870813.png

Here's an example using a street elbow, with 1 1/2 inch pipe.

1673903946577.png

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I redid my plumbing on my tank, since I built a sump from scratch. I finally got it put in this weekend. My drain pipe use to be short. (to the blue line) but I put a longer in because if I didn’t get my filter sock changed out soon enough water would splash out so I made it so it goes into the sump a littler further. Now my water gurgles. The water in my overflow box drains like a toilet and it’s super loud and annoying. Is it because I made the bottom pipe longer? I made the air vent hole on top bigger and also stuck an airline tube down the drain just too see if that made a difference and it hasn’t. I have tried putting more water in the sump to cover the bottom of the pipe in the sump and also took out water so the bottom of the pipe would be exposed too air. Why is it doing this? If I cut the pipe and make it shorter will that really fix the problem. I did switch which hole drained and which returned but I don’t know why that would make a difference. Everything else is the same.
Put a gate valve on your drain and adjust it.. that will cure your problems.

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm i run 1 1/2 drain , have a ball valve on it,, have 2 sicce syncra 5.5's with head height probably doing about 1600 gph thru it on a 120 gallon tank.. i do have a coast to coast 8 foot overflow . its quiet. i have 2 1 inch extra drains there in case the main one would clog
You just said it you have the extra drains so of course it’s silent lol. With one drain even with a valve you can’t purge all the air and go full siphon like herbie or bean animal. I know this subject has been beaten to death by people a lot smarter than me but I saw his post and run a single drain so I was just trying to help smh.

Nutramar Foods

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

redfishbluefish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting is this more effective than a standard durso??

It's a durso, and I can only guess it is called reverse durso because if goes on the end of your drain line in your sump, with the final drain end underwater. It allows entrapped air to escape and reduce/eliminate bubbly water in your sump. It will therefore quiet down your drain as well.

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a durso, and I can only guess it is called reverse durso because if goes on the end of your drain line in your sump, with the final drain end underwater. It allows entrapped air to escape and reduce/eliminate bubbly water in your sump. It will therefore quiet down your drain as well.
Oh ok so this would be down in the sump in lieu of a straight pipe I was thinking this was being used in the overflow box hmm that’s interesting

Top Shelf Aquatics

redfishbluefish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok so this would be down in the sump in lieu of a straight pipe I was thinking this was being used in the overflow box hmm that’s interesting

Yep! Maybe I should have included this picture:

1673913066759.png

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ecotech Marine
Back