Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the middle of cycling a bio cube and these white anenome looking things appeared in my tank and on the rocks. Should I be concerned about this?
147FB718-FD73-42FD-A777-69C4BD5F8BA7.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one in the pic is definitely an anemone, and it's likely one that would be considered a "pest" anemone - unfortunately, I can't give a more specific ID for it than that. Regardless, most people would probably say to get rid of any anemones you find like that.

If you want to get rid of the nems then I'd suggest seeing if any local hobbyists want them; if you don't know anyone who wants/might want them, then you can eliminate them, or you could set up a little tank for them (and any other "pests" that you might get).

Edit: Also, welcome to Reef2Reef!

Last edited:

Nvfshr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as i know, yes you should be concerned, i think they’re aiptasias or something like that, they can sting corals and are considered a pest, good thing is there are some species of fish that consume that, and there are products that kill it, you just have to cover it directly with that foam or thing, good luck

Nutramar Foods

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could tell by your post title this is a skip cycle setup

Post a full tank shot, standing back so we can see how much actual live rock is part of the scape (majority vs minority amount)

Live rock moved among tanks doesn't need cycling, it doesn't mini cycle either, it just transfers and keeps all its bacteria

I can see a little peek of it in the rear section of the initial picture, it's got coralline all over it + animals

OP
OP
choijas1

choijas1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one in the pic is definitely an anemone, and it's likely one that would be considered a "pest" anemone - unfortunately, I can't give a more specific ID for it than that. Regardless, most people would probably say to get rid of any anemones you find like that.

If you want to get rid of the nems then I'd suggest seeing if any local hobbyists want them; if you don't know anyone who wants/might want them, then you can eliminate them, or you could set up a little tank for them (and any other "pests" that you might get).

Edit: Also, welcome to Reef2Reef!
My friends say it’s aiptasia, and recommended me to get aiptasia X. however, it looks very different from the pictures on google

OP
OP
choijas1

choijas1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could tell by your post title this is a skip cycle setup

Post a full tank shot, standing back so we can see how much actual live rock is part of the scape (majority vs minority amount)

Live rock moved among tanks doesn't need cycling, it doesn't mini cycle either, it just transfers and keeps all its bacteria

I can see a little peek of it in the rear section of the initial picture, it's got coralline all over it + animals
There’s nothing alive in the tank. it’s been 10 days into the cycle. i have live and dry rocks

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
live rocks=things alive and transmitting anemones to your glass-living animals. can you take the full tank pic, I was curious what % of your rock is live/does not need cycled.

by live am meaning the coralline, algae, coralline, bacteria, pods and other items on the live rock portion/not fish and shrimp.

depending on the degree / % live rock used this is a skip cycle tank. if 1% of your rock is live, its not a skip cycle tank (you'd need to wait for bacteria to buildup on the majority dry surfaces)

cycling is the easy part, it's fish disease preps coming up that will be the real challenge. knowing where you are in the cycle buildup allows you a clear start date for fish disease preps, very handy to know when a cycle is done or not for sure.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
choijas1

choijas1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
live rocks=things alive and transmitting anemones to your glass-living animals. can you take the full tank pic, I was curious what % of your rock is live/does not need cycled.

by live am meaning the coralline, algae, coralline, bacteria, pods and other items on the live rock portion/not fish and shrimp.

depending on the degree / % live rock used this is a skip cycle tank. if 1% of your rock is live, its not a skip cycle tank (you'd need to wait for bacteria to buildup on the majority dry surfaces)

cycling is the easy part, it's fish disease preps coming up that will be the real challenge. knowing where you are in the cycle buildup allows you a clear start date for fish disease preps, very handy to know when a cycle is done or not for sure.
Purple is live rock and white is dry, i am planning to take some out once tank is cycled

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey neat, a 50 50 mix. when its time to remove some don't remove the live portion, the dry white portion is the unhelpful part, the part most likely to begin picking up uglies and invasions for sure. dont remove the live rock at all, it was costly, and brought in a functional micro biome into the tank that is now transmitting to other surfaces. in 20 days it will all be equally cycled for bacteria on surfaces, for ammonia command, though the white rock will still look pretty much the same. that's cycled for bioload carry.

any fish you added now would indeed be just fine, as that degree of well-spaced live rock carries any loading you'll ever put into the tank. the risk is if you add unprepped (no quarantine) fish and corals and snails, they'll bring in disease.

if you really want that tank to work correctly, stock it in this order:

fish go in last, not first.

this isn't a cycle you'd add bottle bac nor ammonia to. merely a contact time cycle. 20 days wait, no testing required.

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friends say it’s aiptasia, and recommended me to get aiptasia X. however, it looks very different from the pictures on google
Yeah, Aiptasia is basically the hobby’s catch-all term for “pest” anemones (even though it’s not technically accurate); as a result, a lot of different anemones from different genera get called Aiptasia by hobbyists (even though most of these anemones are not actually from the Aiptasia genus).

AquaCave Logo Banner

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is some sort of small anemone that you will likely not want. A quick squirt of kalkwasser mixed into paste with some water will kill it. You likely will have more. You likely always will. There are things that people keep to eat these - most notably Peppermint Shrimp. Peppermints from the Florida Keys directly are really good, but they don't eat huge ones. My guess is that a peppermint would have a nice snack on that tiny thing. Some fish will eat them too. Nothing will be able to get to every nook and cranny.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back