View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Been having issues with my new tank.
will provide all the info I have bellow.

450L tank
Roughly 4 months old.
rodi unit with multiple DI stages, all cartridges are 4 months old and 2 meters both read 0 tds.

Been experiencing this covering for the last 2 months. Haven’t done anything drastic as I thought it was diatoms so just left it.
but it’s close to if not more then 8 weeks now with no sign of it going.

it’s a liglhty stocked tank for now so much so I had to go out my way to increase nitrates and phosphates for fear of cyano breaking out.

Running a filler roller and slimmer with some carbon only.

latest results
nitrates 11
phosphates 0.15
kh 7
calcium 480
Silicates 0.15

tank was started with dry rock, live sand.
many help would be amazing.

what Would I need for a definite id - basic microscope ?
changed the lights to 1400K to take the photos.

normally run them at 40% as I have one unhappy torch and 1 leather only

thank you all

C169477D-5807-4E14-9B40-E59BA8ED7FC6.jpeg CE80C5A7-8638-4204-816F-DC7008700936.jpeg 49AFD795-6002-4C17-943B-1D2464D7FFC8.jpeg 198E02D1-9725-4B77-A415-512B5D657190.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just the uglies from being a new tank. I find getting some live rock from a trusted reefer is the best thing to do to help mature the tank a bit. If you cant find someone you trust the next best thing would be PNS probio and yellow sno imo. I would say this is just diatoms. Increasing flow should help as well.

I think that is a clown tang (a bit blurry in the pic), they need a much larger tank than a 450 liter. They also can be very aggressive so probably not the best fish to stock first

Top Shelf Aquatics

TheBear78

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried lightly stirring the sand bed to loosen it, ideally before a water change and whilst siphoning to try and remove any particles?
Silicates are a cause, as you've alluded to and there are options on their removal. Water changes, heavy skimming and GFO can all help as can more flow on the substrate. GFO may be risky or at least not effective enough at the amount you could run to prevent you PO4 from bottoming out.
I had a prolonged bout of diatoms and even now at a year in I still see small patches now and then, typically in low flow areas.
Keep on top of tank husbandry and maintain those N&P numbers and I'm confident they'll dissappear in time. It may well turn into the next "ugly" but you'll get there in the end.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you cure your dry rock before you placed it in the tank?

Dry rock is loaded with organics and will cause serious algae bloom blooms if it isn't allowed to cycle before being placed.
... what? No.
Dry rock is not loaded with organics. quite the opposite, actually, Inorganic phosphate.

However, this is normal, first stage of new tank uglies. it will pass, but paves the way for green algae soon.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi all,
Been having issues with my new tank.
will provide all the info I have bellow.

450L tank
Roughly 4 months old.
rodi unit with multiple DI stages, all cartridges are 4 months old and 2 meters both read 0 tds.

Been experiencing this covering for the last 2 months. Haven’t done anything drastic as I thought it was diatoms so just left it.
but it’s close to if not more then 8 weeks now with no sign of it going.

it’s a liglhty stocked tank for now so much so I had to go out my way to increase nitrates and phosphates for fear of cyano breaking out.

Running a filler roller and slimmer with some carbon only.

latest results
nitrates 11
phosphates 0.15
kh 7
calcium 480
Silicates 0.15

tank was started with dry rock, live sand.
many help would be amazing.

what Would I need for a definite id - basic microscope ?
changed the lights to 1400K to take the photos.

normally run them at 40% as I have one unhappy torch and 1 leather only

thank you all

View attachment 3056050 View attachment 3056051 View attachment 3056052 View attachment 3056053
I was hoping diatoms but looking on a large screen- Early stage dino it appears.
This will work for both:
Prepare by starting by blowing this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles. Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off. During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as micro bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons. Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX
You can feed fish as normal and if doing blackout, ambient light in room will work for them
No light is first key followed by the addition of bacteria to overcome the bad bacteria thats allowing them to thrive

OP
OP
M

Mrt88

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just the uglies from being a new tank. I find getting some live rock from a trusted reefer is the best thing to do to help mature the tank a bit. If you cant find someone you trust the next best thing would be PNS probio and yellow sno imo. I would say this is just diatoms. Increasing flow should help as well.

I think that is a clown tang (a bit blurry in the pic), they need a much larger tank than a 450 liter. They also can be very aggressive so probably not the best fish to stock first
Hi,
that is a clown tang, I have had him for years and he has grown with me through several tanks. Always been docile and with other tank mates but currently alone. I don’t disagree that he is going to need a larger tank soon.

OP
OP
M

Mrt88

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking back at the pic there seems to be an algae clip resting on the sand. If that is while the flow is all on then flow is way too low in the tank
Yes it is. Also my tunze scraper. Dropped both to take the photos haha.

I have 2. AI Nero wave makes on there. Should I be running them on a higher flow ? They are towards the top of the Tank currently

World Wide Corals

Dweezilz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need a microscope to be sure but it looks exactly like my 6 month old tank looked from month 3 to 5.5. It's just finally going away in the last 3 weeks. I did a few lights out days which really helped but I don't have corals so that worked out ok. I got a decent microscope on Amazon and confirmed it was diatoms. Now I'm getting what appears to be some light tan/olive colored hair algae. Going to get a starry blenny to have at it.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... what? No.
Dry rock is not loaded with organics. quite the opposite, actually, Inorganic phosphate.

However, this is normal, first stage of new tank uglies. it will pass, but paves the way for green algae soon.
Please provide the source of your information. I'd like to read it because it is not what I have learned.

Thanks,
Dom

Organic1.png

And, from Bulk Reef Supply...

Organic2.png

Last edited:

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please provide the source of your information. I'd like to read it because it is not what I have learned.

Thanks,
Dom

View attachment 3057244

And, from Bulk Reef Supply...

View attachment 3057250
Pukani hasn't been available in decades outside second-hand sales. We're talking about modern dry rock that's never touched ocean. Not Walt Smith or Fiji or Pukani.

Bulk Reef Supply is also not a reliable source of accurate information.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pukani hasn't been available in decades outside second-hand sales. We're talking about modern dry rock that's never touched ocean. Not Walt Smith or Fiji or Pukani.

Bulk Reef Supply is also not a reliable source of accurate information.

Dry rock is harvested from the ocean, so how can you say it has never touched it?

Again, please provide the sources of your info.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you. Anything I can try and do to help out with the id? I only have access to a very basic microscope
Pic of overall tank helps

OP
OP
M

Mrt88

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
here’s a photo of the tank, I did give it a decent clean yesterday and another video of that helps anyone
thank you

E1A761F4-EDB8-47DF-9F8C-167410C5E4A4.jpeg
D88DE057-DCB4-466A-AA92-E7382DFE8A9B.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
M

Mrt88

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
just wanted to ask if anyone can help me beat This. What I am almost certain is Dino. I have tried a full course of dino x with no luck, also dr Tim’s waste away plan.
I have just got a UV that I will add tomorrow but getting frustrated at myself. I clearly lack the knowledge somewhere to beat this.

the best solution so far we’re the 3 day blackouts. The almost completely knocked it back, but I returned 2 days later on,
what else can I try ? should I order hydrogen peroxide or more bactiria ?
thank you all

Dweezilz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
just wanted to ask if anyone can help me beat This. What I am almost certain is Dino. I have tried a full course of dino x with no luck, also dr Tim’s waste away plan.
I have just got a UV that I will add tomorrow but getting frustrated at myself. I clearly lack the knowledge somewhere to beat this.

the best solution so far we’re the 3 day blackouts. The almost completely knocked it back, but I returned 2 days later on,
what else can I try ? should I order hydrogen peroxide or more bactiria ?
thank you all
There are different procedures for curing dinos and unfortunately they are totally different depending on which type. I just got done with ridding myself of SCA dinos (hopefully for good) and it was a two month process. You need a decent microscope and if that's a digital one, it will probably very difficult to determine the type of dino as it's just not enough resolution. You can get a AMScope or clone like a Swift on Amazon and even Amazon Warehouse for under 50 usually. That will help you figure out if you need to use UV or maybe Silicate dosing like I did. I've been told that blackouts often only force them dormant for a while in many cases and they can come back which seems to be what happened to you. There's a good forum that specialized on Dinos on FB called Mack's. I'd suggest joining that where you'll find some great experts as well. (not to begrudge the great people here obviously but the more help the better). They helped me a ton.

Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Geo's Reef
Back