Please help identify whats wrong with my new clowns

benhall2323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys new to this forum looking for help identifying issue and treatment or if im overreacting. Got these clowns last week and noticed one had what looked to be popeye in one eye. Days later it looks as though my other clown has it now too and they both have these some of these white spots/marks on face and fin. Let me know what you think i should do, or do we think its brook and they will succumb to this. I have had them for 6 days now and they are still eating fine. The one who came in the tank with the messed up eye does seem to stay more in one spot at the bottom of the tank while the other swims all over

IMG_1027.png IMG_1026.png IMG_1023.jpeg

OP
OP
B

benhall2323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new here my friend. Seems as though my first post wasnt posted on the proper channels so i posted this

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hey guys new to this forum looking for help identifying issue and treatment or if im overreacting. Got these clowns last week and noticed one had what looked to be popeye in one eye. Days later it looks as though my other clown has it now too and they both have these some of these white spots/marks on face and fin. Let me know what you think i should do, or do we think its brook and they will succumb to this. I have had them for 6 days now and they are still eating fine. The one who came in the tank with the messed up eye does seem to stay more in one spot at the bottom of the tank while the other swims all over

IMG_1027.png IMG_1026.png IMG_1023.jpeg
This is brook and the discoloration is mucus which generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a prolonged 60 minute bath of ruby rally pro then at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
Since a formalin solution is often not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from above advise, I see the water surface is flat and full of dust buildup. Flow is very important in a saltwater tank, and you should have a powerhead in the tank pointed at the surface to agitate the surface. This will help with gas exchange and get some oxygen into the water. Also it will remove the debris from the water surface into the water column so your filters can filter it out.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back