Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I am new to the saltwater algae scene. Had a tank running for 5 months with some diatoms but that’s it. I have a new tank (2.5 months old)with rock that is over a year old. It did spend sometime outside of a tank in a trash can but it was heated filtered and had flow.
This algae is newish to the tank. Had one small spot but started to spread fast. Can’t remember which came first but I also added some Cheato to try and help with the phosphate.
There tank has a lit side and a dark side because I am waiting for a friend to 3D print the other mount to accommodate the euro bracing for my Noopsyce v3 pros. The algae is only on the side that is lit. I have turned off all light at this point since there are no corals in the tank anyways. The algae comes of supper easy and floats straight to the top of the tank. I feel it is dinos but my parameter are very high and thought Dino’s love a low nutrient system. The purple in the picture I strongly believe is coralline. I had a different thread about this and went through the steps to confirm. (Does not come off easy)
Parameters are
Salinity-1.024
Temp 78.5
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-9.4(Hanna)
Phosphate. .46(Hannah, salfert,api have all similar readings) I have no idea why it’s so high. I do feed 3 times a day but it is gone within 20-30 seconds. It is a homemade food that does have a lot of supurlina.
Alkalinity-8.4(Hannah)

D167E6DC-5411-4F0D-896C-FD047F9F345A.jpeg 5FB935F2-0A15-4C0B-8F25-B2CB38C25771.jpeg 2EAAE42F-525A-431E-B2BF-157170D156F8.jpeg 459F610A-392D-4D0E-A4E8-51E055947423.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Duffer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your phosphates that high is causing your algae issue, the algae is feeding off of your phosphates..Your phophates are quite high, you want .03 - .1

feeding 3 times a day can be a factor, which i'm surprised your nitrates are not higher, but Phophates bind to the rock and sand and release into the water water column, where your tests are made.

OP
OP
S

stinkydavis

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your phosphates that high is causing your algae issue, the algae is feeding off of your phosphates..Your phophates are quite high, you want .03 - .1

feeding 3 times a day can be a factor, which i'm surprised your nitrates are not higher, but Phophates bind to the rock and sand and release into the water water column, where your tests are made.
I truest don’t understand why phosphates are so high. There is almost never any left over food after feeding. I did have a couple sheet of Nori get absolutely destroyed through a powerhead after my foxface and salfin had their way with it.
I blew all the rocks out with a powerhead to try and get them out of the rocks.

World Wide Corals

Duffer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truest don’t understand why phosphates are so high. There is almost never any left over food after feeding. I did have a couple sheet of Nori get absolutely destroyed through a powerhead after my foxface and salfin had their way with it.
I blew all the rocks out with a powerhead to try and get them out of the rocks.
as i stated they are bond to the rock...

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the start of the uglies. Everyone goes through it and is nothing to be worried about. Manage parameters, remove excess by hand, bolster CuC, dose live phyto. Simple as that.
This

Nutramar Foods
Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

SaltwaterAquarium.com
Back