Please help ID Hitchhiker - worm/slug/sea cucumber?

Lydia3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to this forum, I have been reading it for a long time when researching and I was always planning to introduce myself and create a thread in Members aquariums, although I never got to it yet, so it’s till yet to come.

However last night I discovered some hitchhiker in my tank and I would like to see if anyone can help me to identify it.

I have no idea what it is. When I first seen it, it wasn’t moving and I though it’s maybe a shrank tentacle dropped from my Entacmaea quadricolor, although very unlikely. So I picked it up with the turkey baster and moved it close to front of the glass and switched off the flow so i can observe it. Its not moving much but with the flow off I can see it moving.
It looks to me like some kind of worm/slug or maybe very small sea cucumber?? Its very colorful and it’s is very small maybe 1-1.5cm when stretched. The pictures are enlarged a lot.

I have no idea where it came from, I always dip all new corals in CoralRx, so Im thinking it must have come with the live rock, but how I never seen it in 10 months?
It’s quite surprising, I was always fascinated with the hitchhikers on the live rock and spend hours and hours exploring my tank with the magnifying glass, my tank is now 10 months old so I really didnt think I can still find something new.

I am posting some pictures, but is much better to see on the video so I will try to upload it on youtube and post the link here.

(About the strange noises in the video - my parrot sleeps in that room and makes noises when sleeps :))

IMG_2638.PNG IMG_2619.PNG IMG_2618.PNG IMG_2617.PNG IMG_2616.PNG

Corals.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Peanut worm and reef safe and eaten detritus and uneaten food

OP
OP
Lydia3

Lydia3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks like a tentacle but if it is a whole organism it is very cool
@ISpeakForTheSeas ?
I thought so too at first, but wouldn't the tentacle die off? This still looks very much alive, Also my BTA anemone doesn't have these colors.
Peanut worm maybe..
I have a peanut worm as well. But this looks very different.
Peanut worm and reef safe and eaten detritus and uneaten food
I would be very happy if this is peanut worm, its really colorful and cool looking.

Nutramar Foods

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pics of it under white light?

My first thought (just with how colorful it is) would be a tentacle, but there are three kinds of worms I know that can look similar to this: Sipunculids (Peanut Worms), Echiurans (Spoon Worms), and Priapulids. A few Echiuran species are the closest I know to this in color though.

OP
OP
Lydia3

Lydia3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pics of it under white light?

My first thought (just with how colorful it is) would be a tentacle, but there are three kinds of worms I know that can look similar to this: Sipunculids (Peanut Worms), Echiurans (Spoon Worms), and Priapulids. A few Echiuran species are the closest I know to this in color though.
Thank you very much, I will definitely check these out!
I don’t have pics under white light, it was taken in the night. But I’ve seen it today and it’s bright orange under white light. It’s between the rocks and I left it there in case it is peanut worm I don’t want the hermit crabs get to it. But tomorrow I will take it out to check if it’s still alive and will take better pics under white light.

AS

Bitcoin Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much, I will definitely check these out!
I don’t have pics under white light, it was taken in the night. But I’ve seen it today and it’s bright orange under white light. It’s between the rocks and I left it there in case it is peanut worm I don’t want the hermit crabs get to it. But tomorrow I will take it out to check if it’s still alive and will take better pics under white light.
Maybe move to sump/refugium?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back